Shipping a Firearm to yourself across state lines......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You live in state A. You have a business/another home in state B. You box up your firearm in state A and ship next day air to yourself in state B. You get on an airplane in state A and beat your package to your other location and take actual possession in state B. Legal, gray area, illegal. (shipping company regulations not in play here.)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You live in state A. You have a business/another home in state B. You box up your firearm in state A and ship next day air to yourself in state B. You get on an airplane in state A and beat your package to your other location and take actual possession in state B. Legal, gray area, illegal. (shipping company regulations not in play here.)
    Still your rifle. Legal to own both places. State regs may dictate it must go to an ffl for you to pick up but I do not know.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It is legal per federal law to ship a gun to yourself (e.g. "in care of"). You don't have to be there when it arrives, so it's ok if the gun beats you there. You must also follow state law in both the "from" and "to" states. (e.g. in some of the strict anti-gun states, you may not be legal to possess the weapon, depending on type of weapon and circumstances.) So read the state laws carefully. But in most states, there is no problem whatsoever.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know if this is what you mean or not, but people fly with rifles every year to Alaska and Canada for hunting trips. It’s entirely legal provided you follow the airline protocol.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Check with your airline for their policy and just take it with you on plane. You’d be surprised how many people fly with guns in the baggage hold.

Reactions: Mij

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In my former employed life I traveled extensively. I didn't like trusting even clothes and bathroom articles to the baggage monkeys, I would not trust a firearm I valued to them. I bought expensive armored luggage and they managed to break every one...sometimes I'd go claim my baggage and I could hear a razor or some other battery powered device running because it had been thrown/dropped so hard it turned on.

I doubt that the postal service is any more delicate in handling packages. I have received many things destroyed in transit.

Just drive there and take it with you; otherwise you are just rolling the dice and trusting people who do not deserve your trust to get it there in one piece.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Check with your airline for their policy and just take it with you on plane. You’d be surprised how many people fly with guns in the baggage hold.
    Anytime I fly AA, my bag has always been taken to the baggage office by someone. Every city, every time. Probably 30+. After the first time I never had doubt my firearm would make it flying AA.

Southwest tosses it on the carousel with everyone elses.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Anytime I fly AA, my bag has always been taken to the baggage office by someone. Every city, every time. Probably 30+. After the first time I never had doubt my firearm would make it flying AA.

Southwest tosses it on the carousel with everyone elses.
    Don’t think you can do that with a firearm.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Baggage monkeys don't care.
    No, but you must declare a firearm on board. After that it is in control of the airline. It receives special handling. They are in control of it until you reach your destination, they then return it to your control. It receives special handling from the time you relinquish it until you get it back. You must then leave the airport. It will never see the regular baggage carousel.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Don’t think you can do that with a firearm.
    I've seen a couple videos of a guy that's always doing it. His biggest problem was tsa cutting his locks even when they had the key, so he was showing some special lock for firearms transport.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom