• ...and so much more!
  • jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Greetings all,

I have to send back a new rifle to correct a build flaw. The builder suggested sending it UPS. Is there anywhere near La Porte where I can do this? Any tips and/or suggestions for sending a firearm?

A quick background I recently received a custom rifle based on a Remington 700. It has a detachable box magazine system that needs to be tweaked or replaced. The builder will refund the shipping costs to me when he sends it back to me on his dime.

Thanks for your assistance.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Is the builder in state or out of state. The way I understand it is as long as you are shipping in state long gun do not need to go through FFL. I just shipped a shotgun through post office and it was $17. Check the ATF website it gives instructions.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    O and don't ask the post office they will probably say they can't ship it. ATF will tell u to package it and put nothing on box about a firearm being inside and do not say anything at post office.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    UPS is the slowest shipper I've ever seen, as well as the most expensive. I ship a lot. Fedex ground takes usually (99% of the time) three days or LESS, whereas UPS ground can take around ten days or more.

I loathe UPS. Every time I get a tracking number from them I know it sill be two weeks until I get my package.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't think the US Post Office ships firearms anymore. I ship firearms through UPS. I like the shipper to know what I'm shipping. If you're not telling anyone what's in the box it doesn't matter, but there may be some risk involved in doing it that way. I don't want to take chances with my guns, so I do everything up front and legal. I've had some difficulty shipping firearms FedEx, because I could not get a straight answer from anyone at FedEx on shipping firearms so I basically gave up on them and went to UPS. I probably just didnt talk to the right person, but its not like I didn't try. Not sure but I don't have time for the hassle so I go to who I know will do it. With UPS you need to go to one of their main customer centers, you can't just take it to the UPS store. The UPS Store locations are not authorized to accept firearms, only the Customer Centers are. I suspect the same rules apply to dropping a FedEx package off at your local Kinkos - they won't accept firearms if they know that's whats in the box. If you drop a package off without telling them you're shipping a firearm, and then it gets damaged during shipping and they discover a firearm, you may be in for a big headache. Who needs that?

I searched the UPS website, the closest UPS Customer Center to LaPorte is:
    UPS Customer Center
    STAFFED LOCATION
    860 W MAIN ST & US 2
    WESTVILLE,IN,46391
    800-742-5877

I use the UPS customer center in Hammond, and have shipped firearms through them several times without any problem at all. However, last time I went there the person behind the counter was not up to speed on the requirements for shipping firearms. She balked a little but then I told her I was shipping to a licensed FFL holder and showed her the copy of the FFL. She wasn't sure so she asked her supervisor and everything went smoothly once he took over. So not knowing who you're going to get at the counter, it may be to your advantage to get the FFL copy. At least it proves to the person behind the counter that the shipping address belongs to a licensed FFL holder. If you are shipping to the manufacturer, you should be able to call them and have them email a copy of their FFL to you.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    a long gun can be shipped USPS, UPS, or FedEx by an individual..

in state, out of state... doesn't matter

if you choose UPS, do not to go to the UPS stores.

when it comes to long guns and shipping costs, UPS or FedEx is cheaper than USPS.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Mark 1911 makes a good point, don't drop off at a Kinko's, take it to a hub, so it goes directly into a truck for delivery (instead of sitting in a store filled with minimum wage workers), and also declare it as a firearm.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    USPS does ship long guns. I think I paid about $30.

FFL's can ship handguns via USPS, mere mortals can not.

Regardless of the carrier YOU MUST DISCLOSE THAT YOU ARE SHIPPING A FIREARM!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You're reading it wrong.

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.

He's sending the gun back for smith work - who is a licensee.

The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

No markings on the box. You must disclose to the person at the post office that there is a gun inside however.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    He didn't say a licensed dealer or FFL built the gun. It doesn't say anywhere you have to tell them what's in the box. I was told by more than one dealer it is better not to disclose than because you may have to educate them on how they can ship the gun legally. Especially at the USPS.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    432 Mailability

DMM 601 Mailability

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns
    Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply: <snip>

The USPS may require you to establish that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded. How is that possible if it's not disclosed?

Top Bottom