• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Don't know if this is the place or if anyone has had any experience with this, but.
    I've advertized and bought several firearms here over the years and had nothing but good luck.
    Now I've got a buyer in PA, but how do I legally do this?
    Does he send me an dealer/FFL to send it to?
    Then do I need to line up a dealer/FFL to ship it from?
    Thanks........:@ya:.....<><Duce

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    (1) Yes. He can look on Gunbroker for a FFL in his area, or if he has his own he can use that one. I would have the dealer send you a scan/fax of his license before you ship, just to CYA.
    (2) No. But FFLs can get better shipping prices on handguns through the USPS than you can get from FedEx or UPS. You can't ship handguns via USPS w/o a FFL, and FedEx and UPS know that and charge you accordingly.

You can ship longguns via USPS for about half of what FedEx or UPS will charge you. They make you pay for Overnight or 2nd Day. And pistols via USPS are A LOT less.

The FAQ on the ATF web site that talks about shipping firearms states that if you go to a common carrier (FedEx,UPS) that you must declare that you're shipping a firearm. But that's not what the law actually says... it says that if your shipping to an "unlicensed" person you have to declare it.

IANAL, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The receiver, frame, usually the part with the serial number is the "gun".

Everything else is just parts and there are not any restrictions on shipping. Barrels (but not Ruger Mk pistol barrels), stocks, slides, AR uppers, etc. are just parts.

Some guns have serial numbers on several parts, but it's not the serial number that makes it a gun. Confused yet?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some FFLs will only receive shipments from another FFL. It is not a legal requirement, but some will require it. You need to check with the destination FFL and see if they accept shipments from private individuals or only other FFLs.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Here's something to ponder. The firearm I'm shipping is an early model that has no serial number. So legally is it a Firearm?........:@ya:.........<><Duce

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Here's something to ponder. The firearm I'm shipping is an early model that has no serial number. So legally is it a Firearm?........:@ya:.........<><Duce
    yes

it would be logged into an FFL's bound book or the 4473 as NSN (no serial number)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Unless it was made before 1899 (NFA items excepted). Those are classified as "antique" and don't need to go through a FFL for transfer across state lines.

Without a serial number that would be very hard to prove (i.e. don't do it).

tws63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    jennings county
    Proper firearm shipping

You would be surprised how many FFLs dont know how to properly ship a firearm. I as an FFL receive them all the time.
    The laws are very simple and safe once you know them.

Top Bottom