• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    I am currently trying to sell a firearm, it is posted on armslist but I haven't had much interest in the local area. I have however been approached by a couple people from different states who want me to ship the firearm to their local FFL. I have no experience shipping firearms so I wouldn't really know where to start. From looking at the UPS site I see that the firearm must be in a nondiscript corrugated box (where does one get such a box?) and the language seems kind of vague on if they will even accept a shipment being dropped off by a non FFL.

The potential buyers have said they have no problem paying via paypal and me waiting until I have their cash before I ship to their FFL. I'm wondering what happens if something weird happens like the package gets lost or they were to get denied by NICS when they try to get the firearm from the FFL?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The cheapest way to ship a firearm will be contact a local-to-you FFL and ask them how much they'd charge you to ship. They can utilize MUCH better prices via USPS, since they're an FFL, to ship handguns. Like $20. YOUR cost may be $25-30. Who knows how much a long-gun would cost.

If I were you, I'd INSIST on being paid via a USPS money order. But this will involve them knowing your mailing address if you don't have a PO Box or can't receive mail at work.

Common carriers, like UPS and FedEx will require you to ship to an FFL AND to pay for overnight shipping.

Seriously - get with a local gun shop and ask them how much they'd charge. It'll be easier. They'll probably also have shipping boxes for long-guns.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Non nondescript cardboard box means that it's just a blank cardboard box with no advertising or labels on it, but FFL dealer can send it priority mail for probably much cheaper.

USPS money orders are overrated and can be forged just like any other instrument out there. I get free money orders from my bank and that what the buyer gets and is welcomed to wait a couple of days before shipping. I've never understood the whole "it s gotta be paid with a USPS money order thing"

just make sure the ffl your shipping to will accept a firearm form a individual ( include copy of your DL ) Most don't have a problem with it. I know a lot of FFL you just give the info of the gun so they can enter it into book and give you a copy of their license to take to the PO. If they ask I just stay I work there and need to ship it to the location it's going. Of course I have copies of both FFLs in hand

Parrthed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Charlestown
    Are we talking rifle or handgun?

I usually use UPS for long guns, have my FFL ship handguns. Long gun Costs me around $40-$50 to go ground with no additional declared value. Have to drop it off at the hub though. Just shipped a 6k rifle with secondary insurance from Lou to Nevada for $114

Be careful of scammers, I'm sure you are checking it all out , but PayPal may not be the best way to get paid, especially for a firearm. Since you won't be shipping to their PayPal address but the FFL.

I prefer good old PO money orders.

I've been burned a couple times on accessories and PayPal isn't very 2nd A friendly.

Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    can a money order be cancelled if you get burned on the transaction? meaning you send a money order for an item but never receive and seller goes silent
    I've only sent money orders reputable people/companies

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When I sent my pistol back to Taurus under the recall/settlement, they had me ship via FedEx. Fed Ex has a link on their site for shipping "dangerous goods". Follow the directions there and if you don't have a drop off location that accepts dangerous goods (listing on their site), you can call for a pick up. They showed up a day earlier than scheduled, but I had it ready and they took it.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    I have made boxes many times and shipping them is easy through the USPS. Double boxing is a good idea and make sure to insure. I have spent up to about $50.00 to ship heavier firearms.

Top Bottom