• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    So I am visiting family in CA and unlike in Indiana their Wal Marts actually have stock on their shelves. There were at least 50 boxes each of .40 and 9mm in the case. What I am tying to figure out is if it is feasible to ship some back to Indy. I have read online that it is possible to ship via fedex and UPS. However it says that the box has to have a 200 pound bursting strength. Anybody know what that means? Also does anyone know if there are any additional fees associated with shipping via either of those carriers?

fatvette

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    The burst weight is stamped on the bottom of the box. You may try a UPS Store or place like that, they may carry a box that heavy. I know we don't have any ammo here but is it going to be worth the price to ship a heavy package that distance?

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    ammo shipping

i would think you could go to a ups or any shipping store and they would get you setup. i thought there use to be a hazmat fee for shipping ammo but that may just be for powder and primers.did you happen to notice if the price of ammo in ca. is much different? good luck.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    So I am visiting family in CA and unlike in Indiana their Wal Marts actually have stock on their shelves. There were at least 50 boxes each of .40 and 9mm in the case. What I am tying to figure out is if it is feasible to ship some back to Indy. I have read online that it is possible to ship via fedex and UPS. However it says that the box has to have a 200 pound bursting strength. Anybody know what that means? Also does anyone know if there are any additional fees associated with shipping via either of those carriers?

CLICKY ---> Frequently Asked Questions

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Luggage?

If you're flying back you can bring back up to 11lbs/bag on american arilines. Check with your airlines for limits. I turned my wife into an ammo mule and brought back 22lbs of .380 between the two of us.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I wanted to send a box UPS. They guy at the counter told me refused to accept it when he learned it was ammo. Told me it had to ship from an FFL. UPS Store at Smith Valley and 135, Greenwood.:xmad:

Next time I'l just tell him parts.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    shipping ammo

Ammo is ORM-D, Other Regulated Material, and I believe falls under the Haz-Mat classificaion. 200#pound burst strenght is the rating of the box. I thought that it was 200# ECT, or Edge Crush Test, and should be in new condition. ORMD's are shipped with a customer account, and not accepted at customer counters or UPS stores. A company that you know could ship it for you, with proper labeling.

For safety reasons, and perhaps legal reasons, it would be best to properly declare the contents when shipping. You do not want to be the guy responsible for the plane crash. At one point there was disscusion about OSHA stepping in and removing the "safety" hazard that ammo shipping presented to the employees at UPS and Fed Ex. Luckily, nothing came of it.

Top Bottom