• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I needed to send a rifle back to the factory for repairs. Packaged it up real well and went to a very busy "brown" shipping facility. After a fairly long wait in line, the new seasonal employee behind the counter yelled to a more experience employee, "He has a gun, what should I do"? Several of the waiting customers ducked, one ran out the door. I paid the bill and got the heck out of there!

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Dont you have to have a FFL send it out for you? Maybe theres a loophole i dont know about but this sounds like BS to me...

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    You don't have to have an FFL to ship for repair. You're not transferring ownership. I have shipped guns to manufacturers and out of state gunsmiths througs FedEx many times. They usually just require that you ship it overnight.

You can't ship guns through the USPS, and I didn't think UPS would ship them. That was why I always used FedEx.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Call factory, ask for repair service, get repair number, pack a letter describing needed repairs in box with fire arm, take to UPS, do paper work, pay what you owe, go home, wait for truck to show up at your home. Been down that road on numerous occasions, could be where you live, take it to a smaller town, less hassle, more educated personnel behind counter. Just my personal experience.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Long guns can go USPS.

Handguns from a non FFL holder have to go common carrier, like UPS or FedEx. Both of those comapnies have a policy that handguns have to be shipped overnight. This is due to them hiring a bunch of thieves. When something is shipped overnight, it's locked in a cage, and every time it's moved from one cage to another, there is a record of who had ahold of it. So, due to theft, we have to pay $50-90 to ship a handgun as opposed to teh $15 or so it should cost.

Long guns usually ship through the USPS for under $20, Priority, insured and gaurenteed to get there in 2-4 days. Thanks, thieves!!

Still when shipping a long gun, I try and break it down so it looks as little like a gun as possible. When addressing it, use a person's name or at least abbreviate the companies name so it doesn't sound like a gun shop. Ship to William Robert Baxter, rather than Billy Bob's Gun Emporium.

Just my 2 cents

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You can't ship guns through the USPS, and I didn't think UPS would ship them. That was why I always used FedEx.

UPS Stores which are independently owned will not ship guns (and it's not their policy, it's imposed on them by UPS so don't beat up on the store owners for it), but the UPS terminals will. They have to go overnight and to a factory or FFL.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No BS here. Ruger suggested using UPS or Fedx and to abbreviate their name on the label to SR & Co. The more experienced UPS employee just verified that it was shipping to a business address. No problems other than the lobby commotion caused by the other employee's loud question.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    UPS Stores which are independently owned will not ship guns (and it's not their policy, it's imposed on them by UPS so don't beat up on the store owners for it), but the UPS terminals will. They have to go overnight and to a factory or FFL.

Must be a recent change in policy, the one here in town and the one in Mooresville have happily taken my long guns in for shipping out to have work done. And they came straight back to my house when done.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Must be a recent change in policy, the one here in town and the one in Mooresville have happily taken my long guns in for shipping out to have work done. And they came straight back to my house when done.

Dunno about recent, it's been that way for a few years now. I refer you to the very bottom of the page, last section:
    UPS: Shipping Firearms
    "Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer."

So I don't know why yours do, but if they are UPS Stores they aren't supposed to.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have shipped a long gun through the UPS and did it right from the hub. The only thing I was asked is if it was for repair. You say yes and your long gun goes on its way.

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    You don't have to have an FFL to ship for repair. You're not transferring ownership. I have shipped guns to manufacturers and out of state gunsmiths througs FedEx many times. They usually just require that you ship it overnight.

EXACTLY right.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Misinformation is all over this thread.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

UPS: Shipping Firearms

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    When addressing it, use a person's name or at least abbreviate the companies name so it doesn't sound like a gun shop. Ship to William Robert Baxter, rather than Billy Bob's Gun Emporium.

Which makes it an extreme pain in the a$$ for the driver who thinks he is looking for a residential address as opposed to a business due to no business being listed on the bill of lading. And God forbid a business post an address out front somewhere,

-Your friendly UPS Freight driver.

Top Bottom