• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If I were to sell a gun on gunbroker, I know I need to send it to an FFL. Can I ship it to the buyers FFL myself or would I need an FFL on this end to send it for me?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You can send it yourself but only if the receiving FFL will accept from an individual. You can ship long guns USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Handguns can be shipped only UPS or FedEx if you do it yourself. I have shipped myself but it was expensive since I used FedEx and they require overnight for a handgun(~$85).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    UPS also requires expedited (read: more expensive) handling for firearms shipment. I believe it is either next day or 2nd day air. I have found, at least in my dealings, that very few FFLs want to accept direct shipment of handguns from non-licensees but they are somewhat more relaxed about long guns.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Federal law says no private shipping using usps. So no chance.

Fedex and UPS has a rule that says if you don't "declare" as a weapon, they will not guarantee the shipment. $75 to $80. This is a rule, not a law.
    I almost never get asked what's in the package and when I do I say "parts". I don't think these shippers would pay anyway if the package was lost. Forget the warranty. Pay $10 - $20.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I sold a handgun via Armslist a couple of years ago. After FedEx sticker shock I found peace of mind and a much cheaper price by shipping it from my LGS to the buyer's LGS of choice. No need for an overnight premium nor any risk of a law violation. The buyer paid for shipping....$18 going from Haubstadt to just north of Indy as I recall.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    that's an excellent technique. Most FFLs now charge $25 to $35 for the transfer out service. they can ship cheap. citizens can't. So you're out $50.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Federal law says no private HANDGUN shipping using usps. So no chance.

Fedex and UPS has a rule that says if you don't "declare" as a weapon, they will not guarantee the shipment. $75 to $80. This is a rule, not a law.
    I almost never get asked what's in the package and when I do I say "parts". I don't think these shippers would pay anyway if the package was lost. Forget the warranty. Pay $10 - $20.

Fixed it for you.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    When I've sold long guns, I ship myself which ever way is cheaper.

when I've sold handguns, I take it to a local FFL and have them ship it since they can ship it through 'regular' ground shipping, ie way cheaper. I box it up, pay them a bit for their time, and they take care of the rest.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    before you ship it, i'd contact the buyers ffl, make sure he will recieve from a non ffl, but most importantly make sure what the ffl needs from you!, include everything he wants! EVERYTHING!,(and i'll say it again EVERYTHING the ffl wants, ie if they want your ssn, give it to them!, remember its their ffl, their rules, they take the heat if somethings wrong!)

if you do something wrong, the gun is in limbo! the purchaser cant pick it up, and the ffl cant ship it back to you!(it'd have to go to a dealer in the state you live in for a transfer back to you) one time my boss told the buyer, we have been trying to contact the seller for days, he wont get back to us, if he dosent, we are going to contact the atf, turn the gun over to them, you'll be out the money you paid for the gun, and the seller will have to deal with the atf!....you'd be amazed at how quick we got all the info we needed!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I've sold long guns, I ship myself which ever way is cheaper.

when I've sold handguns, I take it to a local FFL and have them ship it since they can ship it through 'regular' ground shipping, ie way cheaper. I box it up, pay them a bit for their time, and they take care of the rest.

This probably a good idea. A licensee can ship using plain priority mail from USPS for handguns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom