Shoot to thrill in goshen permanently closed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe call Rocket Guns instead? They are the same place. They might have been at the gun show in Elkhart this weekend and the store mighy be closed.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe they are closed. Found this on
    Rocket Guns LLC in Goshen, IN | Importer of Firearms

This is an expired license
    The firearm license for Rocket Guns LLC expired on July 01, 2016.
    The ATF only releases new licenses about once a month, so Rocket Guns LLC may have already re-newed his/her but it is not yet reflected in our database. Check back after the first of the month to see if it has been re-newed.

Shame too. They had an excelent range. Wonder what happened?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had seen comments on FB about them being out of business. Hopefully someone else opens it back up.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    They are both completely closed, I am hearing it's a financial issue. A lot of money was dumped into that range and it just wasn't producing enough income

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They are both completely closed, I am hearing it's a financial issue. A lot of money was dumped into that range and it just wasn't producing enough income

That stinks.

The indoor ranges down here in my area are almost always busy. One of them is even being rebuilt after a fire took it out of commission (Finally being rebuilt after like 2+ years...). If it's not viable somehow, I'd think that perhaps their money management could use some help.

I know that the Indy area definitely has a population advantage, but the Elkhart / Goshen area isn't exactly no-man's land...even if Goshen "only" has 32k people in it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They put a HUGE amount of money into building the range. The HVAC system was excellent. It changed the air in the room every 7 seconds (or something like that). The target holders were computerized so you could set your target at whatever known distance you want.

[video=youtube_share;tGm4EZzWWwo]http://youtu.be/tGm4EZzWWwo[/video]

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    wasnt a fan of that place. When i went there with a buddy we were constantly told how they were superior, and everyone else would be out of business within a year because of how clean their air is. Not to mention they had like 2 or 3 rifle ranges? Had to be watched with a person looking over your shoulder at all times.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had heard people talk about having someone watching you like a hawk all the time. When they first opened, I had heard you had to buy their ammo to use, but then I was told it wasn't the case.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Nah they were like most ranges. No bi metal bullets, but they did watch you if you were new. If you were a regular and displayed common sense, they left you alone.

I like that to be honest.

As I've stated in many threads before, at another local big name range, I had people sweeping me with rifles and pistols while on range, within eyesight of the range officer, and when I complained, nothing was done.

Looks like I shoot outside this winter and freeze my ass off. I will not throw my money at a range with zero common sense.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have been a VIP member at Midwest Gun and Range for five years in a row. I haven't had any bad experiences there.

They do police the range both visually and by use of CCTV. They do make corrections to issues on the range but do so with respect unless the person wants to act like a DB.

I also like to police my brass since I'm a big fan of roll your own.

A friend of mine told me that STT gave him grief for policing his brass saying all that he cleaned up wasn't his. A few weeks later I saw STT selling bags of once fired brass at the gun show in Elkhart. It all made sense to me that they were just being greedy.

Good or Bad News travels fast in the gun industry.

I had never been there nor was I ever planning to go just from the way the guys at Rocket Guns acted the couple times I was in there. Arrogant is the word that I would use for them.

Maybe someone that know how to run a quality shop will take over.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I have been a VIP member at Midwest Gun and Range for five years in a row. I haven't had any bad experiences there.

They do police the range both visually and by use of CCTV. They do make corrections to issues on the range but do so with respect unless the person wants to act like a DB.

I also like to police my brass since I'm a big fan of roll your own.

A friend of mine told me that STT gave him grief for policing his brass saying all that he cleaned up wasn't his. A few weeks later I saw STT selling bags of once fired brass at the gun show in Elkhart. It all made sense to me that they were just being greedy.

Good or Bad News travels fast in the gun industry.

I had never been there nor was I ever planning to go just from the way the guys at Rocket Guns acted the couple times I was in there. Arrogant is the word that I would use for them.

Maybe someone that know how to run a quality shop will take over.

Hasn't been my experience. Like I said, one woman kept sweeping me with an AR, no range officer to be seen. A range instructor was teaching someone how to grip a pistol and the trainee kept sweeping me. When I complained he told me, don't worry, it's unloaded.

Pass. I'll shoot safely in the snow.

To add. I called the other day to ask about what 7.62x39 ammo they allowed, and the guy kept telling me they don't allow lead core bullets. They keep tearing up the back drop... Ermmm what?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That stinks.

The indoor ranges down here in my area are almost always busy. One of them is even being rebuilt after a fire took it out of commission (Finally being rebuilt after like 2+ years...). If it's not viable somehow, I'd think that perhaps their money management could use some help.

I know that the Indy area definitely has a population advantage, but the Elkhart / Goshen area isn't exactly no-man's land...even if Goshen "only" has 32k people in it.

Possibly a lot of other areas outdoors to shoot. Lots of land up that way.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Sounds like we have both had different experiences there.

I don't understand how you let someone continue to sweep you with an AR. Anybody can and should call cease fire on a range when something like you are saying happened to you.

The instructor should have also been set straight if they were allowing the muzzle to point at anything its not intended to destroy.

Why don't you just pony up and be a VIP member so that you can go into the private room?
    I'd be willing to meet you there and get you in free so you can try it out. You can voice your concerns with management too. They would be interested to know your concerns.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I spent a minute in Rocket Guns this summer, that was long enough to view their inventory several times over. Found it interesting someone would put all that $ into revamping the building and then have funky business hours like they were still running it as a hobby.

Saint Joe Rifle Pistol Club has an indoor range in Elkhart and a nice outdoor range (WA-KE'-DE) in Bristol. Just to the north of the line, Edwardsburg Conservation Club has a good outdoor Pistol/Rifle/Blackpowder range in addition to weekly trap. I'm told Gravelton Conservation Club has a nice outdoor range east of Nappanee.

If it's too cold outside for me to be shooting, I must not have had a strong enough desire in the first place.

Last edited:

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I was tempted to look at their VIP, but when shoot to thrill opened I ended up going there instead. With a range officer in the room watching everyone, it kept the random crap to a minimum.

Now that they're closed, I may look into it again.

The VIP is separate from the normal range? I'd imagine that anyone willing to pony up the VIP pricing has common sense, so I wouldn't have to deal with the random idiots that go in there.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was tempted to look at their VIP, but when shoot to thrill opened I ended up going there instead. With a range officer in the room watching everyone, it kept the random crap to a minimum.

Now that they're closed, I may look into it again.

The VIP is separate from the normal range? I'd imagine that anyone willing to pony up the VIP pricing has common sense, so I wouldn't have to deal with the random idiots that go in there.

VIP's have their own range and free targets.

Top Bottom