SHOOTING AT OHIO HIGH SCHOOL ~ 1 or 2 possible shooters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This shooting could not have been prevented by having licensed carriers (teachers, staff, other adults) in the school. But it would have prevented it from escalating into a long-running large count massacre like what happened at Virginia Tech. However that's not what happened. This kid targeted those particular victims and then left. Even an armed guard 20 feet away could not have stopped him. My question is why a non-student was allowed to enter the building. Even that may have been impossible to stop unless each student went through a check gate and had to show a picture ID.

Last edited:

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    This shooting could HAVE been prevented by having each student going through a check gate/metal detector and showing a picture ID. That's how, they should be in place to prevent weapons and non students from coming through.

Last edited:

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    It's a very scary thought.

I work in a high school and a few weeks ago, a former student (graduated last year) showed up at my door during school hours. I asked why he didn't have a visitor pass, and he said that he and his friend arrived before school, when the doors were open, and left a man-door unlocked so they could reenter during school hours. Needless to say, I was not very pleased.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    This shooting could HAVE been prevented by having each student going through a check gate/metal detector and showing a picture ID. That's how, they should be in place to prevent weapons and non students from coming through.

better strip search them too

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As I understand the Israeli experience, the armed teachers didn't engage in a significant number of shootouts, THE SHOOTINGS STOPPED HAPPENING!
    That's the point of allowing armed teachers and visitors with licenses to carry.

Metal detectors are expensive, intrusive and provide a false sense of security. They are totally worthless when this happens: "I asked why he didn't have a visitor pass, and he said that he and his friend arrived before school, when the doors were open, and left a man-door unlocked so they could reenter during school hours."

The common sense solution to stop these shootings, allowing guns in the hands of qualified individuals in the schools, will not be implemented because it isn't politically correct.

On a positive note, I saw on the news last night that some schools are teaching the students to fight back. 20-30 students throwing English Literature books at the shooter will distract him long enough for some Jock to be a hero by tackling him. Or maybe, some cheerleader or flute player who took Karate classes...

In any event, its better to die on your feet than on your knees.:oldwise:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This shooting could not have been prevented by having licensed carriers (teachers, staff, other adults) in the school. But it would have prevented it from escalating into a long-running large count massacre like what happened at Virginia Tech. However that's not what happened. This kid targeted those particular victims and then left. Even an armed guard 20 feet away could not have stopped him. My question is why a non-student was allowed to enter the building. Even that may have been impossible to stop unless each student went through a check gate and had to show a picture ID.
    Rethinking the above I guess I have to say that if everyone knew that some teachers and staff were carrying they might think twice about planning a shooting like this so in that sense it MIGHT have prevented this shooting.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    better strip search them too
    You're obviously missing the point... It is a means to deter them from sneaking in weapons, knives have metal blades, pistols have metal parts, sure you can make prison shanks out of tooth brushes. Arming techers may be a deterent but you'd never see it happen. And really, what's a child's life worth???? More than metal detectors I can tell you that. They spend LOTS of money on stupid @$$ improvements or have a bake sale for new uniforms for the color gaurd..How about improved security for your children?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    knives have metal blades SOME knives have metal blades. Don't underestimate strength of polymers

How about improved security for your children?
    So, you are OK with the teachers, cops, and security patrol frisking, wanding, searching bags/purses and patting down teens at school? It happened today here in Indy and I am not happy. We didn't go through it when I was in school and we didn't have one shooting or stabbing. Just a few fights. I can only assume it's due to the Ohio incident. Could not get much information from the school at the time. I will continue my search for answers.

BTW, these were "random" searches.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    You're obviously missing the point... It is a means to deter them from sneaking in weapons, knives have metal blades, pistols have metal parts, sure you can make prison shanks out of tooth brushes. Arming techers may be a deterent but you'd never see it happen. And really, what's a child's life worth???? More than metal detectors I can tell you that. They spend LOTS of money on stupid @$$ improvements or have a bake sale for new uniforms for the color gaurd..How about improved security for your children?
    :yesway:

Some people have their heads stuck up their politics to much to have an original thought.

Yes teachers, principals, old lunch ladies should all be able to carry. After all our Constitution says so. How ever people will still do suicidal things because lets face it THEIR SUICIDAL. Nothing will deter them NOTHING saying teachers being armed would have is an asinine statement. For all we know it wouldn't have ever deterred a single school shooter, look at how many were suicidal. Sure it could deter some and most likely limit the carnage but acting as though it's a magical pill to end all school shootings is stupid.

Until "gun free zones" are eliminated the schools should be held accountable for making sure no GUNS get in. Whether it be metal detectors, wands, or searches of backpacks. I'm not talking about knives, prison shanks, non-metal objects, or whatever else. This was a school shooting, guns are not allowed, and we are talking about guns.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You're obviously missing the point...
    No, I have not missed the point. You have.
    Franklin, Benjamin
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    It is a means to deter them from sneaking in weapons, knives have metal blades, pistols have metal parts, sure you can make prison shanks out of tooth brushes. Arming techers may be a deterent but you'd never see it happen.
    With just a very rudimentary amount of training most persons can do very frightening things with a BIC Ink Pen, rendering your precious metal detectors useless...
    What now?!
    And really, what's a child's life worth???? More than metal detectors I can tell you that.
    Apparently less than liberty...
    They spend LOTS of money on stupid @$$ improvements or have a bake sale for new uniforms for the color gaurd..How about improved security for your children?
    You want to improve the Security for your little snowflake, then everyone that is over the age of 18 should be allowed to carry at School unhindered...

Top Bottom