• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I will most likely build a good shooting bench soon, may build two of them. Would there be any intrest in the "extra" one?

Will be heavy, made of treated wood, two seat for right and left hand shooters. (I shoot both ways) Will be made to set up and leave it. Not real portable.

Don't know how much yet but would anyone be interested in it? If not, I will just build one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not really interested but I started a new policy awhile back. When I make something, I make at least two. You get a synergistic effect and can build two with very little extra time.

Then I sell the second for at least the cost of the materials for both. This usually makes the price attractive and I sell it quickly. And I end up with mine being free.

All except the labor that is...

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    That's kind of the idea, but then again, it is going to take up a fair amount of room just sitting around and I don't want to keep moving it if no one wants it. Just figured that if there wasn't any bites, I would just build one. A few people act interested, I build 2.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Not really interested but I started a new policy awhile back. When I make something, I make at least two. You get a synergistic effect and can build two with very little extra time.

Then I sell the second for at least the cost of the materials for both. This usually makes the price attractive and I sell it quickly. And I end up with mine being free.

All except the labor that is...
    I like your policy

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's kind of the idea, but then again, it is going to take up a fair amount of room just sitting around and I don't want to keep moving it if no one wants it. Just figured that if there wasn't any bites, I would just build one. A few people act interested, I build 2.

Yeah, a fixed bench will have a smaller customer base.

I like your policy

Thanks. It really pays off if I build a bed or a dresser or some kind of storage cabinet. I can usually even make a few bucks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    But you should still post pics of your craftsmanship!

Agreed! You might get a request for one. Keep track of the work hours and materials cost on your first one. Then if someone asks about you making them one, you can decide how much your time is worth and provide them with a good quote.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well, it wont be my craftsmanship, I work with steel. fabrication and machine work. The bench will be all wood, and i cant do a thing with wood!! Been around it all my life (we own a sawmill) and i'm a total derp with it. I will have the local highschool shop class build it. it will be like this. bench-complete-3.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Well, it wont be my craftsmanship, I work with steel. fabrication and machine work. The bench will be all wood, and i cant do a thing with wood!! Been around it all my life (we own a sawmill) and i'm a total derp with it. I will have the local highschool shop class build it. it will be like this. View attachment 34040

That one is nicely made.

But I prefer an unattached stool, because sometimes I like to get my head lower down if I'm using iron sights, and it helps to be able to slide the stool back a bit.

If I was building one, I'd make separate stools, and have a rig to keep the stools fastened up under the table when not in use.

Top Bottom