• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Yup. Where'd that fit into logical thinking? The emotional snowflake mind?

No emotional snowflake here. I just do not understand the mindset of someone who can hate something just because it exists, and wants to blindly exterminate them. My point was that there were many settlers that felt that same hate and desire to kill native Americans too. They said you could kill them all day, and you would never be rid of them. We all know how that turned out. I'm not trying to compare (or equate) animals to people, I'm just pointing out that it is the same vehement mindset of unfounded hate. I hunt to eat, and don't see the excitement in killing, for killing sake. In Austalia they once had a carniverous marsupial called the "Tasmanian Tiger". It was hated because it would kill sheep & chickens. It was hunted to extinction before conservation efforts could be put in place. Coyotes are native to this country and have a place. If they TRULY are out of control in an area, that is one thing, just like when there are too many deer in an area. But, otherwise, they help keep nature in balance by replacing the wolves, bear, and mountain lions that we have wiped out.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I don't trap mice this time of year b/c they might have young they are raising.:draw: Mice have a place in this world. They chew wires, chew holes in clothing left in my barn and fill every nook and cranny with acorns and corn seed.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I don't trap mice this time of year b/c they might have young they are raising.:draw: Mice have a place in this world. They chew wires, chew holes in clothing left in my barn and fill every nook and cranny with acorns and corn seed.

Mice DO have a place in this world, IN THE WILD. Once they move into your house and start doing damage, that IS a different story. If a coyote moves into my garage and starts doing damage, I would have no problem killing it. However, do you go out into the woods, meadows, and fields to set your mouse traps?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    No emotional snowflake here. I just do not understand the mindset of someone who can hate something just because it exists, and wants to blindly exterminate them. My point was that there were many settlers that felt that same hate and desire to kill native Americans too. They said you could kill them all day, and you would never be rid of them. We all know how that turned out. I'm not trying to compare (or equate) animals to people, I'm just pointing out that it is the same vehement mindset of unfounded hate. I hunt to eat, and don't see the excitement in killing, for killing sake. In Austalia they once had a carniverous marsupial called the "Tasmanian Tiger". It was hated because it would kill sheep & chickens. It was hunted to extinction before conservation efforts could be put in place. Coyotes are native to this country and have a place. If they TRULY are out of control in an area, that is one thing, just like when there are too many deer in an area. But, otherwise, they help keep nature in balance by replacing the wolves, bear, and mountain lions that we have wiped out.

What people are objecting to is the silliness of comparing 'yotes to American Indians, ruthlessly killed and otherwise persecuted, not one of the proud moments in US history, but certainly not unique and nowhere near the most brutal in world history.
    I don't hate 'yotes, but that won't stop me from shooting them on sight in season.
    Please, leave the extreme, over-emotional arguments for the genuine snowflakes, aka SJW crowd.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I keep poison out in my barn all year long. That said, I've filled in lots of rabbit nests, dug in near my garden, but if I find one with baby rabbits in it, I let them be. Because, even though I hate to have my peas and greens eaten, there are some things I won't do. I'm no better than the person who would kill those baby rabbits, but I'm no less either.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You HUNT to EAT? Disgusting, why can't you get your meat at Kroger where they don't hurt animals to get it!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Interesting thread.
    Since I go on friends' land, I probably wouldn't kill pups unless they had asked me to shoot 'yotes on sight.
    Same friend asked me to shoot any beavers on sight, and during a scout campout at their property a beaver got some high speed lead poisoning.

Now, another friend raises sheep and pigs and wants any coyote shot dead ASAP any time of year.

Young William

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Pretty intresting pod cast.

Joe Rogan Experience #942 - Dan Flores:
    Dan Flores is a writer and historian who specializes in cultural and environmental studies of the American West. His recent books "Coyote America: A Natural & Supernatural History" and "American Serengeti: The Last Big Animals of the Great Plains"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH1RUk1w_xk

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    Interesting thread.
    Since I go on friends' land, I probably wouldn't kill pups unless they had asked me to shoot 'yotes on sight.
    Same friend asked me to shoot any beavers on sight, and during a scout campout at their property a beaver got some high speed lead poisoning.

Now, another friend raises sheep and pigs and wants any coyote shot dead ASAP any time of year.

your friend has the right idea. its better to be proactive than reactive with coyotes.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I didn't mean for that statement to come off as hate or to remotely sound like it.
    Coyotes are a problem where I'm at. NO rabbits, birds, puppies, and have run the deer down to nothing. We don't have livestock farms in our area so I'm not protecting a bunch of piglets, calves, colts, etc.
    Killing Yotes is like getting out the weed eater. It has to be done to get along where I'm at.
    I don't shoot groundhogs with spite either. The farmers sure appreciate it though.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I didn't mean for that statement to come off as hate or to remotely sound like it.
    Coyotes are a problem where I'm at. NO rabbits, birds, puppies, and have run the deer down to nothing. We don't have livestock farms in our area so I'm not protecting a bunch of piglets, calves, colts, etc.
    Killing Yotes is like getting out the weed eater. It has to be done to get along where I'm at.
    I don't shoot groundhogs with spite either. The farmers sure appreciate it though.
    People who live in cities, or in subdivisions just don't realize just how big of a problem coyotes are for us in the country. The population has exploded in the last couple of years with the mild winters we've had. Mild winters mean that other animals also thrive, which in turn means plentiful food for the coyotes. Its ok for people like us who live on farms to shoot coyotes on sight, I'm not saying go out and hunt them out of season, but if he is in range of my front porch (which is where I killed 3 of the last 4 from) then he dies. And no I don't skin them out, I throw them in a sink hole for the buzzards and opossums. You can disagree but thats just how it is. Oh I'm also killing every mosquito and mosquito larvae I see. snuffing their life out with horrible pesticides.
    I sleep well.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They are NOT an invasive species according to the Indiana DNR (DNR: Dealing with Nuisance Coyotes)

Thus says the DNR:
    Coyotes (Canis latrans) are native to Indiana and were rare or uncommon until the early 1970s. Before the settlement of Indiana, coyotes were primarily restricted to original prairie regions of the state. With the clearing of forests for farming, coyotes have expanded their distribution. Today, coyotes are found throughout Indiana, coyoteincluding urban areas.

I do not currently have evidence to support their theory that they are a native returning. I find them to be invasive. Yes, I'd still kill the pups on my place.
    Not an emotional issue. Just a logical one. Coyote is a coyote is a coyote. Size and location do not matter.
    I want fewer coyotes.

Starting from the DNR's point of view on the matter, here are maps showing the original prairie as estimated by various people applying methods largely stemming from soil studies:

9f7cbf0fbcfe1c5f925c8617ba6a47f5.jpg

prairieregion.jpg
    prangeb.gif

My conclusion from this is that the argument that coyotes are not invasive is parallel to finding something that lives on only one minor island, declaring it native to earth, and therefore noninvasive anyplace that there is dry land. Arbitrary lines on a map are irrelevant so far as that having been found in a minuscule part of the state at one time in the past does NOT make coyotes noninvasive in the overwhelming majority of the state. The bottom line is that the DNR is full of crap.

Given that I like my alpacas much better than I like coyotes, any coyotes are subject to immediate termination.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Thus says the DNR:

Starting from the DNR's point of view on the matter, here are maps showing the original prairie as estimated by various people applying methods largely stemming from soil studies:

9f7cbf0fbcfe1c5f925c8617ba6a47f5.jpg

prairieregion.jpg
    prangeb.gif

My conclusion from this is that the argument that coyotes are not invasive is parallel to finding something that lives on only one minor island, declaring it native to earth, and therefore noninvasive anyplace that there is dry land. Arbitrary lines on a map are irrelevant so far as that having been found in a minuscule part of the state at one time in the past does NOT make coyotes noninvasive in the overwhelming majority of the state. The bottom line is that the DNR is full of crap.

Given that I like my alpacas much better than I like coyotes, any coyotes are subject to immediate termination.

Well, using your "logic", whitetail deer would be an invasive soecies in Indiana, since the last recorded "native kill" was in 1893, and there were NO DEER IN INDIANA until their release in the 1930's, therefore ALL deer in Indiana are decendants from NON-NATIVE deer.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They are NOT an invasive species according to the Indiana DNR (DNR: Dealing with Nuisance Coyotes)

Well, using your "logic", whitetail deer would be an invasive soecies in Indiana, since the last recorded "native kill" was in 1893, and there were NO DEER IN INDIANA until there release in the 1930's, therefore ALL deer in Indiana are decendants from NON-NATIVE deer.

My argument regarding coyotes and your example regarding deer do not have any connection, unless, of course you have information suggesting that deer originally populated only an extremely small part of the state, making them indigenous to that small area and invasive everywhere else.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So, for all the evidence on both sides I guess I'll keep a coin in my pocket to flip to make sure it's a righteous shoot.
    I'm not one just to shoot a living creature for sport.

Top Bottom