• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    My experiance with dragging heavy things is it needs to be on skids. I think your corner posts are going to dig into the ground, not to mention hang on every root ect along the way.
    My bench sits on 4" x 6" treated skids. I used a chainsaw to make a 45* cut on each end of the skids.
    It sat on the ground for a few years, then I set it up on some of those concrete pads you can buy at Lowes ect to keep it from contacting the ground.
    Every 2 or 3 years I'll give it a liberal dose of boiled linseed oil to preserve it.
    I recently cut some trees and moved it back a ways in order to turn my 100/200 yard range into a 100/200 meter range. Something to consider if you have guns with metric sights (AR15 - M1A).

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You could always build it a size that would allow the use of a collapsible canopy:dunno:

I'd say use a cheap tarp silver/camo/blue whichever you prefer and use rubber bungee's to keep them tight. Could get light weight poles to use as a frame and the cost would be very inexpensive.

I'm planning on putting in some 4x4 post along the front of my deck with a steel gray colored tarp to create some summer shade and make it more enjoyable to sit outside. But the plans are on hold until my shoulder has fully healed from surgery.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    let me know when its being built. you know i will be on my way to help! the canopy idea or tarp with bungee cords is a good idea. and a spot to catch all the brass.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My experiance with dragging heavy things is it needs to be on skids. I think your corner posts are going to dig into the ground, not to mention hang on every root ect along the way.
    My bench sits on 4" x 6" treated skids. I used a chainsaw to make a 45* cut on each end of the skids.
    It sat on the ground for a few years, then I set it up on some of those concrete pads you can buy at Lowes ect to keep it from contacting the ground.
    Every 2 or 3 years I'll give it a liberal dose of boiled linseed oil to preserve it.
    I recently cut some trees and moved it back a ways in order to turn my 100/200 yard range into a 100/200 meter range. Something to consider if you have guns with metric sights (AR15 - M1A).

ya i dont think there would be any way i can drag it. im going to pick it straight up with the bucket tractor. and ill be putting linseed oil on it every couple years

ckmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just a thought

Might want to think about a solid floor of some kind. From past experience it's not much fun if smaller ammo happens to fall thru the floor slats and you have to crawl under and get it.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Make it at least 10x10

If you make it at least 10x10 or a little bigger you can place and "Easy up" for a roof when you need it. Still have mine from out BMX days It'll keep the rain out and sides are avaliable if you want. Plus you can bolt or clamp it down if you need to!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I borrow my wifes outdoor umbella,have a hole drilled in the bench I use,works out well,as were we shoot is facing East to west. Sounds like youll have a good set up,if you use a couple bolts in each leg,your be able to drag it anywhere,without it tristing or falling apart.

i have a tractor bucket tractor so i dont need to drag it. i think im going with the removable awning that zbornacsvt sugested

Top Bottom