• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjsnook

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Walton, IN
    Does anyone have any experience with, or know of a good training program for children. My son would like to get involved with some shooting activities like maybe 4H or some other organization but I am having difficulty finding information on good programs for kids. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I did 4H shooting sports when I was a kid and had a great time. Not all Cub/Boy scout groups do shooting, but some are very into shooting - again, when I was a kid, we went on a weekly basis to the ROTC building at The Ohio State University and did competitive rimfire shooting. That was my first experience with a non-airgun-handgun, actually.

Camp Buffalo (Boy Scout Camp) near Buffalo, Indiana has a really nice range - the local PD/Sheriff's department trains there. But don't assume that just because it's a scout group that it's gun friendly - some are, some aren't (from my experience)

mjsnook

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Walton, IN
    Appleseed looks like a good organization. We will have to check into that. There is a location in Wabash which is not too far from our house.

Thanks,
    Mike

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Steel challenge matches are a great place to start with kids. .22's are fine and there is very little movement to do.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Appleseed, 4H, www.isrpa.org, CMP Rimfire Sporter, and many high schools in Indiana have rifle teams.

The first place I would check is www.isrpa.org Take a look at the summer rifle camp article.

If you are looking for a "program", it could be a close as your local high school or CMP affiliated rifle club.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom