• ...and so much more!
  • Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    Hey All!
    I could use some suggestions..... This spring, I will be hosting a 2nd Amendment day here at the house for family and close friends. I want to mix things up a bit and run some shooting games to break the monotony of just punching holes in paper. Unfortunately, an internet search only covers computer shooting games.... not exactly in the spirit of the day. Does anyone out there have any suggested games?

BTW, Russian Roulette is not up for consideration!

Thanks for your input!

Mike

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    With shotguns and clay pigeons we play"horse"
    Going in order (2-4 shooters on the line), if fist person misses, then 2nd person can get them out/give them a letter if they hit the bird.if they hit, then a new round starts on shooter 3, etc

Edit: this is throwing them with a hand thrower or an automated launcher

Last edited:

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    A man that is at some of the Tri-state shows sells targets that are different games, like Battleship, and basketball, and several others. You might look for those targets.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    PIG or HORSE. multiple targets of different sizes at different distances. shooter can choose dominant or non dominant side, as well as standing, kneeling, or prone.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, not sure how much area is available for shooting, or the lay of the land, but it's not all that difficult to set up targets for a 'fun house' or 'shooting gauntlet', ala Gunsite's reknowned building.

Pop up or swinging type targets can be constructed with a bit of ingenuity as well as 'shoot / don't shoot' stationary targets. Really, it's more of a matter of time, effort, and creative thinking than it is dollars and cents.

For example, when I hit the range, for the most part I don't use those 'expensive' targets. I use those cheapie 9" paper plates, then ones that are about $1 / 100. Take out a marker, and draw a crappy 'dot' on it ('cause I can't draw a straight line with 2 protractors, a straightedge, and a calculator!), or a tic-tac-toe grid, or whatever. For pre-printed targets, I always liked the ones laid out with a 52 card 'deck'.

Another thing we used a lot were cheap ballons; red, blue, white. Taped 1 of each color together (usually 3 - 5 'groups'). Shooter blind draws a red, blue or white poker chip from a box or bag. Shooter then must hit only the balloons in that color in each group; +1 for the designated color, -1 for any other color. Really gets to be a challenge when the wind blows a bit and the balloons won't sit still, LOL. Harder? Don't inflate the balloons as much. Even harder? Less inflation AND further away.

And ask the kids involved, those who may be shooting, for ideas. Kids are immensely creative and imaginative. They see a pizza box as a baseball diamond 'base', a couple of lined-up pop cans as a football 'end zone', or a cardboard box as a 'fort'. Kids always know how to make 'nothing' into something worthwhile to play with!

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Get a couple of rifle jacks from Bobcat and have races. It's not as easy as it seems especially if you put them out at 50-75 yards and use rifles. If you only have one jack then you can do a distance challenge with limited ammo and or time. See who can walk it the farthest. You can use pistols as well as rifles on his AR500 ones.

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    :bacondance:
    And ask the kids involved, those who may be shooting, for ideas. Kids are immensely creative and imaginative. They see a pizza box as a baseball diamond 'base', a couple of lined-up pop cans as a football 'end zone', or a cardboard box as a 'fort'. Kids always know how to make 'nothing' into something worthwhile to play with!
    not the 1s that sit around on their couches & play stupid video games:twocents:

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Good thread, this is something I was looking for this year to mix it up from just punching holes. We did see some of the battleship targets at the Tri-State show today. Wishing now I would have picked a few up to try out.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Shooting up cheap no-name soda 2-liters is always a riot as they tend to explode in spectacular fashion. Half pound of tannerite makes a nice boom too and isn't likely to kill with shrapnel (no link but this happened recently to a child). Gander has half pound tannerite for $7.50.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This looks fun...

Progressive%20target.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59860621/INGO/permanent/Progressive target.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    how about actual shooting sports? steel challenge. uspsa. idpa. 3-gun. highpower. bullseye. trap/skeet, etc.

I put SC in bold since it's one of the most family, new competitor friendly games there is. very challenging, yet anyone young or old can complete the courses, w/ anything pistol caliber from a .22 on up, and it's lots of FUN.

-rvb

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Shoot paintballs set up on golf tees. I'll set up ten at 50 yards (the farthest I can shoot on my property), give each shooter a ten round mag, and the person with the best score wins.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Sounds like a fun day! We use to have quick draw contests with our .22 single action revolvers. Timed out of holster and hitting targets. Ok - for the safety police, I suppose someone could shoot a foot, but that is why we use .22! :)

Top Bottom