• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have horrible eyesight so I have to wear glasses, I have tried contacts to no avail and cannot afford lasik at this time.

Normally when I shoot I just use my normal glasses, I really think tho that i need some shooting glasses. I cannot currently afford Rx shooting glasses.
    So I am looking for some that will fit over my normal glasses.

any one have any suggestions?

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I would look through the Grainger catalog and fine some safety glasses. Uvex makes a lot of glasses and goggles designed to fit over regular glasses, most are ANSI Z87.1 so plenty safe for shooting. We have loads of different ones at work.

I wear Oakley prescription M frames....but they are a little on the expensive side.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I have the same problem. I just use some ANSI safety glasses that I pick up at Menards. Make sure that you get some that work with your glasses. Some glasses with large lenses are harder to find safety glasses that fit over them.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    INGO member notasccrmom shoots for the e-Rudy Project. They make Rx glasses for sportsmen/shooters.

Their Facebook page says "use 2alpha for 40% off our products"

I'm thinking about getting some. I believe Zoub may have some as well.

Rudy Project Sunglasses, Goggles, Helmets and Gear - Made in Italy for 25 Years!

eh, but they may be too pricey for what you're looking for.
    The discount code is still the same, but the discount has recently changed to 35% off and a free Rudy Project Hat. They are probably pricier than the OP was looking for, but I highly recommend them if you can swing it. You can order them with your Rx built right into your lenses, or you can get an insert so you can change lens colors easily without needing multiple Rx lenses. Besides just the obvious features (quick change lenses, adjustable nose pieces and temples, etc.) the optical clarity is second to none. When I was first introduced to them, I couldn't believe how much sharper everything looked through them. The red lenses are amazing for shooting with a red dot or a fiber optic sight. They really make your sights "pop".

If anyone has any questions about Rudy Project glasses, feel free to PM me.

Go here: Rudy Project Rx and enter the code 2alpha and take a look at what they've got available in direct Rx.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am gonna try to save a little longer and get a pair of the rudy's

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    INGO member notasccrmom shoots for the e-Rudy Project. They make Rx glasses for sportsmen/shooters.

Their Facebook page says "use 2alpha for 40% off our products"

I'm thinking about getting some. I believe Zoub may have some as well.

Rudy Project Sunglasses, Goggles, Helmets and Gear - Made in Italy for 25 Years!

eh, but they may be too pricey for what you're looking for.
    I have Wiley X and Ray Bans. I have never tried the Rudy glasses but I have read about them before. They are well liked.

I was talking about this subject this week. 30 years ago I use to get perscription lenses made to order at Bausch and Lomb, change from Yellow to Amber, then my optometrist would put them in Ray Ban frames.

Things have come a long way since then but in all those years it has always paid off to save up and buy quality. I consider all my glasses to be shooting glasses, even my daily wear so I buy tough and they hold up.

Tomorrow I was going to go order a pair of Oakley as I have never tried them. Is there a place in Indy that has the Rudy glasses on hand?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have horrible eyesight so I have to wear glasses, I have tried contacts to no avail and cannot afford lasik at this time.

Normally when I shoot I just use my normal glasses, I really think tho that i need some shooting glasses. I cannot currently afford Rx shooting glasses.
    So I am looking for some that will fit over my normal glasses.

any one have any suggestions?
    There are a few factors for you to consider so do your homework.

Big difference between shotgun and handgun, is just one example. But once you figure out what you need, you will enjoy shooting much more. And you can wear them for more than shooting.

Hell, when I got married I wore shooting glasses! And no it wasn't a shotgun wedding.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been wearing Rudy Project RB3 glasses since 2002 or 2003 with a prescription insert.

Glasses with the prescription in the regular lenses have some advantages, but here are some to glasses with an Rx insert:
    • You can one frame with multiple colors/styles of protective lenses, all of which will work with the same prescription insert.
    • You can have the insert filled with your prescription locally, or at any lab you choose.
    • If the protective lenses get damaged, your prescription will still be intact.
    • If your prescription changes, you only need to get the insert changed. All of your protective lenses still work.
    • If you get the insert in a suitably thick polycarbonate, the lenses will add a second layer of protection for your eyes.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

Make sure you have ESS do the grinding for your prescription lenses! I tried to use my local supplier for my day-to-day glasses and they could not make it work. Something about centering the focal point in the lenses with the outside protective lens. I ended up taking them back and will have to order the prescription ones directly from ESS. It was a PITA to figure out!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know some labs have trouble with progressive/no-line bifocals with prescription inserts with a significant curve, or with those that made from wire that flex easily.

LensCrafters had no problem doing the insert for my RB3s, both with my original single vision prescription or my current bifocals. They are, however, too expensive. When I do it again, I'm going to Walmart or Sears.

Top Bottom