Shooting in a rural area - how close is too close?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    My wife and I just moved a few miles outside of city limits because we enjoy the peace and quiet. It's just a small place with about an acre of land, but it is surrounded mostly by fields.

To our immediate west there is a house probably 200 yards away, and to the east there is a house probably 100 yards away. But to the north and south the nearest house is easily 800-1000 yards away.

I was thinking of building a backstop (railroad ties, earth, etc) for a small pistol range and shooting from north to south. The backstop would be on the edge of my property in front of a field, directly behind which would be no houses.

My question then would be one of legality. I assume the neighbors to the east and west aren't going to like the noise - but am I legally allowed to discharge firearms on my land with them being in such close proximity? I looked through the IN state laws but didn't find anything regulating this, so I assume it would be a local ordinance that I need to check into? Would this be city or county specific?

Thanks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indiana State laws don't regulate backtops or home ranges. County ordinances might. What county are you in? Hendricks, for instance, does not have much of anything that would prevent someone from shooting on their property. No noise ordinances, and no "discharge" ordinances.

Sounds like you have PLENTY of room. Build a good backstop, and invite the neighbors over to shoot.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Indiana State laws don't regulate backtops or home ranges. County ordinances might. What county are you in? Hendricks, for instance, does not have much of anything that would prevent someone from shooting on their property. No noise ordinances, and no "discharge" ordinances.

Sounds like you have PLENTY of room. Build a good backstop, and invite the neighbors over to shoot.

You just made my day. I live in Hendricks Co. and have been thinking of building one I have an area be hind me that is all field. It's about a 1/2 mile to the the next building directly behind the back stop. :rockwoot::ar15:
    sorry for the hijack you can have the thread back now:D

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    There is a State code concerning being within so many yards from a public road (can't remember the exact distance). Other than that you're probably clear.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    My wife and I just moved a few miles outside of city limits because we enjoy the peace and quiet. It's just a small place with about an acre of land, but it is surrounded mostly by fields.

To our immediate west there is a house probably 200 yards away, and to the east there is a house probably 100 yards away. But to the north and south the nearest house is easily 800-1000 yards away.

I was thinking of building a backstop (railroad ties, earth, etc) for a small pistol range and shooting from north to south. The backstop would be on the edge of my property in front of a field, directly behind which would be no houses.

My question then would be one of legality. I assume the neighbors to the east and west aren't going to like the noise - but am I legally allowed to discharge firearms on my land with them being in such close proximity? I looked through the IN state laws but didn't find anything regulating this, so I assume it would be a local ordinance that I need to check into? Would this be city or county specific?

Thanks.

Check the town ordinances. Semi-rural locales may in fact have something on the books.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A half mile is only 2640 feet. The big field might have a farmer on a tractor in it so make sure you check that out before you start shooting. Also keep in mind, the guy that thinks you shot his building will most likely convince the LEO's you did it by the mere fact you have a backstop a few hundred yards in front of his house. You have to live there, but so do your neighbors...if it was me, I'd try to clear it with them before I started any shooting.

I hope you can do it. It's really convenient being able to shoot on your own property.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County

Thanks.

I have a range on my place that extends over a half mile. I shoot anywhere from pistol to 1000 yard rifle. I have told my neighbors and I have included signs that I made and placed throughout the property for weary tresspassers. The sign:

WARNING

DEATHOR SEVERE INJURY MAY RESULT FROM TRESSPASSING!

Anactive high power rifle range over ½ mile long operates on this privateproperty. Weapon systems may discharge at any time without warning. Onlyauthorized persons with recent permission from landowner may enter. You assume full liability for injuries or deathto your person by trespassing.

DO NOT ENTER

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    LFD102.. I called the Hendricks county sheriffs office (few years back) to inquire about a shooting range. They said it was OK as long as the bullet didn't leave my property AKA have a good backstop. I used a Pine tree I had to cut down and dirt.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a range on my place that extends over a half mile. I shoot anywhere from pistol to 1000 yard rifle. I have told my neighbors and I have included signs that I made and placed throughout the property for weary tresspassers. The sign:

WARNING

DEATHOR SEVERE INJURY MAY RESULT FROM TRESSPASSING!

Anactive high power rifle range over ½ mile long operates on this privateproperty. Weapon systems may discharge at any time without warning. Onlyauthorized persons with recent permission from landowner may enter. You assume full liability for injuries or deathto your person by trespassing.

DO NOT ENTER

Hopefully you corrected the spelling and grammar before you posted those signs..

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why don't neighbors talk to each other any more?

100 yards seems a bit close. You said you moved to enjoy the peace and quiet, and maybe your neighbors have the same sentiment. You should discuss your intentions with them since they'd be the one calling the sheriff.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't speak with authority about laws and ordinances, but it is my understanding that Lawrence county has none. I'm pretty sure you can't shoot over a roadway and maybe even water...

But my comment is more along the lines of being neighborly...my neighbors shoot, so that implies they are ok if I do it too :D.

But I try to be considerate: I don't shoot too early in the morning nor too late in the evening. I also avoid prolonged periods of shooting--admitedly, this is partially due to the cost. I try to consider how much I'd like it if they started shooting while I'm trying to sleep in or if I'd like to hear gun fire all afternoon.

Top Bottom