• ...and so much more!
  • JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Sorry if this is a dupe.

I thought it was going to be a shooting over the shoes. Good thing this guy was willing to defend everyone. Shooting a person while running away is illegal in Indiana isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7BI0zA_Zck

Indiana you have the right to defend yourself from what you feel is possible lethal threats... Defending that in court with someone running away could prove to be problematic...

Someone pulling a knife or other weapon and threatening you with it, then trying to run when they realized they brought a knife to a gun fight to me would still be your right to defend yourself...

Lawyers and Gun Control Freaks would most likely see it differently... Shooting someone in the back as they ran away wouldn't make it easy to find a jury willing to say you were justified.

:twocents::ar15::patriot::twocents:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Feet shoulder width apart. Torso pretty much square to the target. Both hands on the gun. Well done...

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Indiana you have the right to defend yourself from what you feel is possible lethal threats... Defending that in court with someone running away could prove to be problematic...

Someone pulling a knife or other weapon and threatening you with it, then trying to run when they realized they brought a knife to a gun fight to me would still be your right to defend yourself...

Lawyers and Gun Control Freaks would most likely see it differently... Shooting someone in the back as they ran away wouldn't make it easy to find a jury willing to say you were justified.

I definitely see your point, if the attacker had threatened with a knife and then was shot while fleeing. Personal opinion aside, it might be hard to get a ruling in favor of self-defence. But say the attacker threatens with a gun, as in this video. Just because the attacker is now fleeing, doesn't mean he can't turn around and shoot. It can only take one shot to end your/my life, and despite the fact that a fleeing attacker turning around to pop off a round would probably miss, that is still a chance I would rather not take.

Now I would guess the popular opinion around here would be a shooting in that situation is justified, but is it unreasonable to think that argument would hold up in an Indiana courtroom?

PS. I know your post is not your opinion of whether or not it is justified, but rather how the courts will see it. I'm just kind of thinking out loud about whether or not someone would have a chance at a ruling in favor of self-defence.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There's too much left out of the video for me to make a call. I can't see if the thief is running towards someone else or what happened before all of that. Ther's just too many what if's.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The eyewitnesses confirmed that it was a good shoot, which is why there were no charges brought forward.

I also thought shooting the guy running away was bad form, but then again he pointed the gun and threatened everyone, so he got what was coming to him.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Glad to see this is being treated as self- defense. I hope the shooter that ended the threat was legally carrying. Something to keep an eye on.

As for the robber... I can see the mindset. A bunch of people in line early, undoubtedly cash in hand waiting in the dark for the shoes to go on sale. I don't blame him for thinking these folks would be easy targets. Afterall they are dumb enough to wait for a chance to give somebody $200 for those hideous sneakers.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Glad to see this is being treated as self- defense. I hope the shooter that ended the threat was legally carrying. Something to keep an eye on.

As for the robber... I can see the mindset. A bunch of people in line early, undoubtedly cash in hand waiting in the dark for the shoes to go on sale. I don't blame him for thinking these folks would be easy targets. Afterall they are dumb enough to wait for a chance to give somebody $200 for those hideous sneakers.

Atlanta Crook Makes Fatal Mistake by Thinking Patrons in Line for $180 Shoes Won’t Exercise 2nd Amendment Right | Video | TheBlaze.com

this article and a news report say that the defender held a permit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are there any reports about who initially called police to report the shooting? We all know the mantra, "call first!" I wonder if shooter called it in or someone in line.

Did he get first dibs on the shoes? A lot of unanswered questions here.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ......Afterall they are dumb enough to wait for a chance to give somebody $200 for those hideous sneakers.

LeBron-X-EXT.jpg

I want these.....

... to douse with gas and light on fire. :flamethrower:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good shooting! I like that the shooter had the presence to point his gun down after the shoot and move while scouting the area for more threats.

Based on the info given in the report, I don't know if I would have shot the running man, but if it were my call, I would not try to prosecute the shooter either.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

See below...

I definitely see your point, if the attacker had threatened with a knife and then was shot while fleeing. Personal opinion aside, it might be hard to get a ruling in favor of self-defence. But say the attacker threatens with a gun, as in this video. Just because the attacker is now fleeing, doesn't mean he can't turn around and shoot. It can only take one shot to end your/my life, and despite the fact that a fleeing attacker turning around to pop off a round would probably miss, that is still a chance I would rather not take.

To add to this, it could very easily be argued that the threat could have been running to take up a position of cover to return fire. Until the threat is stopped, it's still a threat. Just because the threat "pauses" being a threat for a brief moment does not mean it won't be a threat again soon...

Top Bottom