• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For Indiana weather, it's been pretty hot for the last few weeks. (News Flash). I'd not had much time to shoot lately, but an opportunity came up yesterday. I knew it'd be a hot one but I was itching to do some shooting.
    So I loaded up some guns. (.308 Bolt, .308 AR, .223 AR and a pistol or two) and drove up to Bass & Bucks.
    I brought along some .308 150gr that I wanted to try out in the POF USA 308. Also some old Magtech .308 to just get rid of, neither of my guns like it much. In the bolt I run .308 175gr almost exclusively.

Anyway, it was hot, no wind. I found myself adjusting about 1 moa for the heat at 740 yrds. Hitting the 8" target at 540 regularly and the 16" at 740 as well. It was a nice shooting day, on target with the 175, the 150 was not working well past 300 yards. Mirage was pretty strong at 540, not a problem at the 740.

I moved my Bobcat Steel target to 100 yards and had some fun with the .223 blasting the tar out of it. By that time it was Noon and nobody else was there. I decided to have some fun and took some shots at it with my M&P 45 at that range. 20 rounds 5 hits. Not practical for that weapon, but I wanted to see if I could hit it.
    After some pistol work at shorter ranges I wrapped it up at about 1:30. scorching hot day (by IN standards) but fun and worthwhile.

Anyone else enjoying the heat?

picture.php

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Bass and Bucks in Wabash has long distance rifle ranges, or did you shoot somewhere else? I've not been up there yet but would like to hear more about the place. Sounds like you had some fun even in the heat. I found it interesting to see how things change when your hands are slippery and the sweat is dripping in your eyes. Always a good idea to prepare in all types of situations.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They (B&B) have ranges at 25, 50, 100, 200, 340, 540, 740 (+-) yards. They have 4'x8' boards for paper targets. There are some steel shapes at the longer ranges. I bring my own steel as well. My only gripe is the grass/weeds are not kept down very well. But, they have several benches on a nice berm. The staff is friendly. Its also only $15 fee for a day of shooting. It's the best spot I've found with distance and a reasonable drive from Indy.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been enjoying the heat at Ideal Fish and Game Club in Churubusco, two out of the last three Saturday. I enjoy the heat so I had a good time. I met some really nice folks. One local couple was practicing close encounters with handguns. Both were very accurate and very well prepared. Also met a local guy who moved here from Texas who was out shooting with his stepson. They had some nice handguns, a couple of Ruger 10/22s and one more powerful rifle, but i forgot everything about it except the BOOM when they fired it!

The range is very primitive. Big pile of dirt held in place by felled trees and a lean-to zinc roof. Strictly bring your own targets, so shot up a bunch of paper plates with my Taurus 24/7 compact and G26. There are shooter shack at 50 and 100 yds. They are functional but not comfortable. But who needs comfort to practice? Next visit I will take my Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 1894c in .357. Time to work on the distance skills a bit and enjoy that lever action!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm lucky enough to have some property I can shoot on anytime I want, so I'm kind of spoiled. Right now, when I do decide to go shooting, I may shoot anywhere from 100-300 rounds depending on the gun I take with me. After that, I get hot and say enough for today. I can handle sweating, but when it's just pouring off of me, that's another story.

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indoor ranges ain't exactly my style, until the mercury hits north of 95 that is. Was happy to pay for a little air-conditioned shootin' yesterday! :-)

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I can't do the indoor thing even in the winter. I shot my .45 and .40 for an hour and half at the Lebanon Cons. Club all by myself on Sunday it was great. If I had known that I was going to be by myself I would have taken my AR even though you can only shoot 100 yrds there. Anyway thanks for the post.

mmorph55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Lafayette
    I find the heat to be very benificial when I practice. Lets face the facts, if you can still shoot with the stress of heat and being blinded by your own sweat you are doing good.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Thats what I like about Appleseeds, we shoot no matter. Last weekend at Riley, it was raining, no lightining or severe weather. ;) We even have shot at MCF&G when the temp was low 20's. As ATM says " If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin' " :rockwoot:

Come out and join us at Atlanta Conservation Club this weekend, hot, humid possible rain, sounds like fun!!! :yesway:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I worked at the state USPSA match last week in Warsaw, it was hot ,but not as Hot as last year. 7 solid days in the heat, only one day of rain, the day I shot the match.
    Stay hydrated ,wear a hat and sit down in the shade and rest when you can.
    Most importantly stay safe .

I would rather shoot in the cold any day

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    We had a great crowd at ECPR last weekend - the heat didn't seem to bother any of our shooters. Our firing lane is in the shade and we have two big fans to place at either end of the bay.

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:I HATE the bloody heat:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:
    I just can't tolerate it anymore. Anything above 88 and forget it - I am indoors or in water. If I have to be out for any length of time it makes me feel like crap - I have allergies too.
    I wish it wasn;t the case cuz I have not been shooting since June:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

I am so looking forward to september - the blessed fall! Cool nights, warm afternoons - God I love the fall and all the shootin' and hunting that comes with it:)

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    Thats what I like about Appleseeds, we shoot no matter. Last weekend at Riley, it was raining, no lightining or severe weather. ;) We even have shot at MCF&G when the temp was low 20's. As ATM says " If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin' " :rockwoot:

Come out and join us at Atlanta Conservation Club this weekend, hot, humid possible rain, sounds like fun!!! :yesway:

I'll be there (hope it doesn't rain tho). I was just going through my checklist.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm lucky enough to have a range on my property, So I'll load up a magazine or two, drive the air conditioned truck to the range, open the door, use the bedside as a rest and shoot a few rounds, hop back in the truck and go get a popsicle.

Top Bottom