• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Here we are in the midst of a drought but I can't help but wonder; Would shooting in a moderate to heavy rain adversely affect accuracy? I would think that a heavier bullet would charge through it easily but what about the small calibers? Wouldn't firing a round like .223, .17HMR or .22LR get knocked all over the place as those light bullets slam into raindrops?
    :popcorn:

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    My understanding is that a raindrop never touches the bullet After the round is fired some sort of shock wave is created which keeps the drops away from the bullet.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I have shot alot of .22 & centerfire benchrest matches in the rain. It is acually helpful to see the changes in the wind...no need to adjust or hold your point of aim any differently. I'm talking light to medium rain.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have shot deer in the rain with a muzzleloader, no problem, just as dead as a fair weather shot.

Don't remember for sure if I ever shot one with the 12 ga slug in the rain, but imagine the results would be about the same - dead deer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    How easily can bullets and primers get wet when you shoot in the rain?

Doesn't matter one bit if the bullets get wet. And all quality ammo...the primers are sealed well enough. It is just rain, after all. Different ball game than submerging it for long periods.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Seal primers with "watered" down finger nail polish. Seals them against alot of crap. I personally only load my ammo that goes into the ammo cans for SHTF during warmer months and in an AC, humidity controlled environ. Bullets, well, I am 50/50. Sometimes I use the primer sealant, mostly no, really doesn't need it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I actually ran between the raindrops from one house to another during a heavy downpour once. It was weird. Didn't notice a single drop hit me.

Even though there's a shock wave, I think the force of impact with the shock wave is transmitted into the bullet. The thing is, the flight time is so short, and the actual density of water in the air so low, that an impact is unlikely, plus each raindrop would have a tiny effect. It would be rare to see a significant effect. You'd have to have a good number of raindrops line up at just the right moment, which would be about as likely as running between them.

Top Bottom