• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    with a piece of brass. I hadn't realized she had moved up on my right to see the AR-15 fire before she shot it.

I hit a 66% IPSC Bobcat steel and then hear Ow. I thought she was talking about the added sound. But it was the steel case that hit her in the cheek, broadside. She bent down to pick it up and burned her fingers, then said "That's hot."

This whole thing is Bradis's fault. See I was visiting there and started talking with a couple walking in. Somehow I wound up talking the woman through a few pistols and selling my first pistol at Bradis. It was the same Ruger SR-22 that I went there for. Had Bradis not had two in stock, the story would have ended here.

I go back home and finish chain sawing up the tree that missed my truck when it fell on Thursday night and waited for the wife.

The we headed out to shoot. She has only been down to Martinsville with me once before. Since then I acquired some more wife friendly guns. We went through safety and operation of the SR-22 pistol. Then she proceeded to alternate between the M&P 15-22 and the SR-22 as I filled mags.

I asked if she wanted to shoot the "real" gun that the M&P 15-22 is designed after. She was on my right rear 45 as I got ready to shoot and moved up to about 20 degrees behind me to get smacked in the face with the brass. It hit her broadside, so it just stung but didn't leave a mark. She shot a few rounds through it but thought the 20" A2 AR-15 was a little heavy, so I guess I need to build an M4 style. Darn. :D

After about 200 rounds through the SR-22, I asked if she wanted to try a 9mm. So I loaded some White Box in the Glock 19. Flash back to last time at the range and she did not enjoy the recoil of the Glock 19 at all. After finishing all 17 rounds from the G17 mag, she just said. I like that. It is a little easier to aim than the .22 (SR-22). I asked about recoil and she said, it wasn't bad. :yesway:

So I loaded mags and complained that I couldn't figure out how to empty them. She was OK with helping.

When we were cleaning up to leave, she said "This was more fun than last time. I really like that little gun."

I believe the Ruger SR-22 is a winner. As the mostly empty box of Federal Bulk can attest. Only issue I had with it is one of the two mags is a little tight where the rim goes into the mag. I'll open it up to take away the resistance and we should be good. We had 2 or 3 times the round wasn't powerful enough to pick up a round. The trigger has improved with the 300 or so rounds we put through it.

Range time, dinner and happy wife. All good.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Lucky

Man, my wife wont touch a gun. Its real annoying because I can shoot here at home on my property and she only complains that my side yard looks like a shooting range :ar15:.

A couple milk jugs, some paper targets and oh yeah the old refreigerator the paper targets get nailed to (thats kind of an eyesore) but its in my side field where no one ever sees it except her every day. :dunno:

She wouldnt touch my guns when we started seeing eachother twelve years ago. Now I know its half way in spite of me. Shes a lib, but I love her anyway. One advantage to her staying totally disconnected from my firearms is I can get a new gun and stick it in my gun room, carry it out to shoot and she is none the wiser. I could carry a freakin 50cal sniper rifle right past her in the living room and she would just roll her eyes, like shes thinking, "boys and their toys". I wish she would get into it cause its my only hobby

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    M

She wouldnt touch my guns when we started seeing each other twelve years ago. Now I know its half way in spite of me. Shes a lib, but I love her anyway. One advantage to her staying totally disconnected from my firearms is I can get a new gun and stick it in my gun room, carry it out to shoot and she is none the wiser. I could carry a freakin 50cal sniper rifle right past her in the living room and she would just roll her eyes, like shes thinking, "boys and their toys". I wish she would get into it cause its my only hobby

Sounds similar to my situation... and like you, as long as all the guns aren't displayed in one place, she has no idea how to tell any difference.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I could carry a freakin 50cal sniper rifle right past her in the living room and she would just roll her eyes, like shes thinking, "boys and their toys". I wish she would get into it cause its my only hobby

I believe you now have the justification to get yourself a 50 cal sniper rifle just to see if that theory holds true.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    By the way, based on the thread title, I just had to read it.

I guess I took it as "Shooting my AR-15, and hit my wife in the face"

rather than

"Shooting my AR-15 and hit my wife in the face"

;)

I thought, wow, sounds like someone is having a bad day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    sounds like all ended well , and congrats on the good teachings, .........my wife still doesn't let me live down the hot brass going down her shirt one time ....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Well, I can sympathize with her on that... Just an fyi... DON'T wear a tank top to an indoor range, no matter how warm it is. Remember how in the old Westerns, the bad guy would shoot at someone's feet and tell them to "dance"? Well, I was dancin' alright, but not from having my feet shot at! :):

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My now wife has a scar under her boob from her p22. She didn't even jump, just finished her mag and pulled it out saying oww.

Top Bottom