• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    I would like to know from some gun and property owners that shoot on their own land what are the laws governing what they had to go through to do so. I am wanting to relocate out of subburbs and back to the country where I grew up as a kid. What would I have to do about keeping the neighbors happy.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Check local laws we live in unincorporated ....county and the only thing you need is a safe back stop. We are fortunate to own a section of a abandoned railroad on our property couldn't ask for better.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    Read your town ordinances, county and state regs. Post more info on where you live. It is wise to declare a designated part of your property as a range in the event laws change. A piece of property with a grandfathered range can be valuable. Document its existence. If you've got neighbors that complain, dont back down. Dont be suprised if the police visit your place to ensure you have an adequate backstop. Once you've done your research, enjoy your property. The neighbors call the county police once when we were out shooting machineguns in my dads backyard, little did they know one of the cops that worked for me was shooting with us. The responding unit said "have a nice day". Post your location and I'm sure some local INGO will be able to give you some better advice.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We tried that we had no luck with that one initially both neighbors were opposed to it neither are close at all one is an asshat who moved here from Chicago. Not sure why since he brought his liberal elitis attitude with him. The other came by the other day and proudly announced he just bought a new xd 9. Stating how he really did not want to pay range fees. So I invited him over to shoot. Figured one happier neighbor could not hurt.

WawaseeHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fishers and Wawasee
    We tried that we had no luck with that one initially both neighbors were opposed to it neither are close at all one is an asshat who moved here from Chicago. Not sure why since he brought his liberal elitis attitude with him. The other came by the other day and proudly announced he just bought a new xd 9. Stating how he really did not want to pay range fees. So I invited him over to shoot. Figured one happier neighbor could not hurt.

Sorry about that, I just moved from Chicago to get away from those kinds of people. Sucks that they flee the taxes and crime but bring the holier-than-thou mindset with them. Offer to show him how to shoot would be my suggestion.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First, you will want to stay out of cities and towns.

Then as stated above, you need to see if the area you move into has any laws against shooting. I am in Porter County, and we are good here. I built a berm on my property to shoot into. In the area where I live shooting is common. I hear people shooting on more days than not when it is warm out.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As others have said, you need to be OUTSIDE of any city or town, find an unincorporated area in your county. Then find the county ordinances regarding shooting. They vary from county to county. Where I live there is shooting going on most days when its not raining, its just common out here. One of my neighbors has complained, one time. Other than that, I've never heard any major issues out here with people shooting on their land. I'm in LAKE County. County rules here are pretty common sense.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I was out at my uncles in BFE one day and we had the police called on us because we had shot over 1k rounds of ammo that day....so we just shot louder guns instead. Call me an ass if you want but they didn't even live remotely near the property we were shooting on.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I shoot at some land my family owns, it buts right up to city limits. Just about every time I shoot I get someone coming over to complain...which causes me to shoot more of course.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    Most people hear gunfire and just assume that it is just another hill jack drinking beer and blasting critters. If it were me I would invite that neighbor over and show them that safety is your number one concern and that you are a responsible sport shooter. They may not be into guns or shooting but if they see your range, direction you shoot, and your general gun safety practices, I'd bet that might ease most concerns they have.
    Then again....it may not help at all. Lol

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne

I moved here from Chicago 18 years ago. You know we're better then you right?

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I live in Allen county but in a subdivision my dad lives in country still in Allen co but on 9acres 10min up the road. The sheriff of Allen County lives at end of my fathers street and we have never had anyone come say anything ever. We're always shooting tannerite and our ARs with no problems! I want to move out of subdivision so badly but property by them is 10,000 a acre.

Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Hey guys I love all of your reply's to my post. I really like it when you all just tell all of the nosy do gooders to go to ......, I have an area of Indiana Southwest of Indianapolis in mind to go buy some land for now and then build latter on when the housing market comes back to sell what I have.

Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    And to the people from Chicago, there is hope for you all yet.

I am surprised however though that the high and mighty Obama has not had the State of Illinois change the welcome signs on the interstates from the land of Lincoln to Land of Obama with his mug shot on the sign.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    When I lived out side of town we shot at fence posts all the time. I think the danger lies in if you live in town (they probably wont let you shoot anything, at all. period.) or in the country if its not firing in a safe direction with no chance to hit anything.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Read your town ordinances, county and state regs. Post more info on where you live. It is wise to declare a designated part of your property as a range in the event laws change. A piece of property with a grandfathered range can be valuable. Document its existence. If you've got neighbors that complain, dont back down. Dont be suprised if the police visit your place to ensure you have an adequate backstop. Once you've done your research, enjoy your property. The neighbors call the county police once when we were out shooting machineguns in my dads backyard, little did they know one of the cops that worked for me was shooting with us. The responding unit said "have a nice day". Post your location and I'm sure some local INGO will be able to give you some better advice.

Curious about this approach. To me, it sounds like you could open yourself up to some unwanted attention from the EPA or other agencies by doing this. Also, how would you go about "documenting" a private range on private property?

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Most likely the police will make a visit. My brother in-law lives in a strange area right outside city limits. The street that leads to his property by the cemetary is city. I'm not kidding you drive through a cemetery to get to his house. The only time the cops showed up because of shooting was when he wasn't shooting. Someone by his land shoots all of the time. We can't even figure it out. I'm guessing the cops weren't even aware that the land wasn't in city limits. They just felt embarrassed showing up. We shoot all of the time but are aware that people probably will complain. His neighbor shoots too plus many others in the distance shoot.

Top Bottom