• ...and so much more!
  • JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Hello there.
    I searched around and couldn't come up with a solid answer...(that certainly doesn't mean that this hasn't been covered, I'd be really surprised if it hadn't.) So...
    What are the land requirements to shoot on your own property? Outside city limits is the only one I'm sure of. But what about size? Is there a minimum acreage? Distance from neighbors? Terrain (like no high powered rifles on flat farmland)? Has anyone dealt with problems stemming from LE (or neighbors) while shooting on their property?
    Or is it simply; Buy an acre (or 30) and shoot away?
    Thanks.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The main thing is to be certain that a projectile does not leave your property. Ever.
    Shoot into a good natural backstop, or build one if needed.

stroyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Andersonville,IN
    Location is everything. I am 50 miles from Indy. I have 4 acres and shoot into dirt. I have never heard of any specific laws or rules that are all encompassing. I would call the local sheriffs office and ask them. They will be the ones you will have to answer to if you get complaints.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Believe it or not, there are many places even in Marion county where it is technically legal to shoot on your property. Like others have mentioned, a lot depends on local LE. The most commonly used reason for LE to stop you is lack of a proper backstop. This usually ends up being a subjective judgement call made by the officer on the scene. Just keep in mind that just because you may have the law on your side, that doesn't mean you won't be hassled.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brothers and I shoot on the farm alot, but as stated before it just depends on were you are and if anybody around you are going to throw a fit if your shooting. In other words it dont hurt to have coll neighbors,even if you live in the country.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What are the land requirements to shoot on your own property? Outside city limits is the only one I'm sure of. But what about size? Is there a minimum acreage?
    This depends on your COUNTY. If your county set a requirement then you must abide by that limit.

Distance from neighbors?
    Again depends on your county. While many have no restrictions on property size, they may have restrictions on distances to occupied structures.

Terrain (like no high powered rifles on flat farmland)?
    Keep YOUR bullets/shot on YOUR property no matter how much land you have.

Has anyone dealt with problems stemming from LE (or neighbors) while shooting on their property?
    Yes, but in my case the law was on my side. Still that doesn't stop people from complaining and calling in the Sheriff anytime they are crabby. One of my neighbors has 300+ acres and people have complained about shooting on his property. You can never have too much. But it is possible to have way too little.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Crazy... I was just pontificating about whether i could walk out my door and put a round in the ground, and what the ramifications would be. Not that I would, just wondering since I am technically in the county but am in a sub-divided neighborhood.

Of course I am very close to Bloomington, so I am sure that it would be dependent on the officer that showed up on the scene.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    As most have said it depends where you are at, how much thought you put into the backstop, and how safe you may be overall. I believe that generally, as long as you own the property, are safe, and it is just you or your immediate family you are good to go.
    That said, do not form a club, or have organized shoots, or such.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just barely enough bandwidth to post and read, so I can't look it up...but unless I'm mistaken, there are laws against shooting across roads and rivers. Also, I think firearms can't be discharged within 100yds of a house...but I'm probably getting some Tennessee stuff confused with Indiana stuff. I'm sure if you peruse the indiana code, you'd find it there. FwIW.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was thinking that if you ever sell the property, you have to have the backstop hauled out with all the lead... :dunno:

Would private residential property be subject to reclamation/remediation legislation? I don't know either. If it's affecting water supplies or something like that, there's a good bet.

More likely, you'd have to disclose it as an "environemental" issue. And barring some local or state ordinance, the only requirement to remove it would be if it were negotiated into the purchase contract.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I know lake county passed a law requiring 1000ft from a residence. Last I heard there were amendments made but I never followed up.

I have 4 acres and its 8000+ft till the next building behind me but given the county restrictions I don't/can't target shoot however I have put down a few dozen raccoons, possums and groundhogs.

Cousin has 26 acres in lake Co, sheriff's department shows up within a couple minutes of the first round fired. Shoot 1000+ft from any residence so there's nothing they can do about the actual shooting but they do say to stop and if not, will be fined for noise complaints

Depends on your county and your neighbors. Mine don't seem to mind one or two rounds to put down a pest but according to deputy that stopped by, "someone called about you shooting a rifle" when I was sighting in my new pellet gun n scope

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I actualy bought my place (8 acres,house,barn)due to the fact that when I looked at it, I had to wait for turkeys to get out of the drive way for me to pull in,,Ijumped three deer walking around the barn, and the back of the property is a 35ft dirt wall. My only problem is to get the neihbors to stop shooting and be quiet during hunting season---Starke Co probably hurts the war effort due to ammo expenditure

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Heres a quick fix: Just pick up a suppressor at the next indy 1500 show :D.......but all kidding aside i would check with local LE and see what they say.

Top Bottom