• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    So I've been doing a little reading and looking for info about shooting positions.

Would anyone have any good links of resources on the subject?

So far I've only found one video on youtube on the subject that is informative, so I thought I'd share.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwYaDgLEVQ]YouTube - Basic Art of The Rifle - Standing Unsupported.[/ame]

Thanks
    -Jason

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The Marines teach, (at least they USED to) 4 shooting positions, Standing, (offhand), Kneeling, sitting, and prone... what else is there.......... Oh, I forgot all those EXPERTS on T.V. telling everyone to practice on your strong side, weak side, after you've been knocked down.... Oh well, I guess that is why I am WATCHING T.V. instead of being the one ON T.V. !!!!! :twocents:

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Supported prone position is still prone; unsupported prone is still prone. With or without a sling....you get the picture :) You inquired about shooting positions, but perhaps you're looking for modifications/adaptations to those positions? Such as the examples at Shooting Positions?

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is regular prone, Supine Prone, SBU Prone, and then one other where I have had to lay on the weapon side of my body, with the ejection port of my AR facing the ground (almost touching) and firing my weapon as if shooting through the underside of a car.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Such as the examples at Shooting Positions?

There is a pic of a guy in prone on that site and his position is terrible, he isn't close to being behind the rifle.

Books and videos and pictures are nice but at some point you will want to get some live instruction. It is difficult to see flaws in your position because you can't see your position (unless you video yourself). It is also difficult to relate a lot of details. How much to load a bipod or the like.

Get thee to an Appleseed, or take that offer from earlier in the thread.

Here are some other good reads:
    FM 23-10
    MCRP 3-1A
    Shooting Straight
    Rifle coaches checklist
    Army Marksmanship Guide

A lot of it is redundant but that is the good stuff.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I can't agree more on an Appleseed. :yesway: You get loads of instruction, as well as practice.:ar15: We get you in position on a safe line and check and recheck untill its right. :bash: As a bonus you get to learn a little about our heritage, and hey, you get to meet many, many of us from here at INGO.:ingo: :patriot: DON

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should also note that the USMC and Appleseed teach classic rifle shooting positions. If you are attempting to fire accurate, single shots from a static position, they are your primary tools and they are proven over time. You should learn them and they will make you a better shooter. The Appleseed program in particular is highly recommended.

Given that, other applications favor different shooting positions. If you're shooting a rifle and speed (to first shot) and rapid application of successive shots is desired, the classic positions may not serve you as well. Once you add movement, use of body armor, and close quarters to the mix, it become a different sets of skills. You still need sight alignment, sight picture, trigger press, and follow-through, but how you stand/move/kneel/prone may vary.

The applications to which I refer are defensive/close quarters combat use of the rifle and 3-gun/practical rifle. Some of the differences will include how the rifle is mounted, torso position with respect to the threat/target (which is also influenced by the use or potential use of body armor), the fact that firing side elbow is tucked into the body instead of "winged" to form a pocket, the support hand is used not just as a rest, but as the means for directing/driving the muzzle and for control of recoil, etc. etc. etc.

Indicative of this is stock length. The stock on the M16A2 and M16A4 is perfect for a 6' tall male using a classic rifleman's slow fire target shooting stance. It's too long for just about everyone except giants like slow1911s for defensive/practical applications, which is why collapsible (read "adjustable length") stocks are almost mandatory on a rifle intended for more serious applications.

Top Bottom