• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbondmonroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Columbus
    I am wanting to build a rifle range and a pistol range behind my house. Just something for me and the friends to play with. How big of a hill should I build for the both?
    Rifle range will be 100 yards and the pistol range will be 25 yards, and maybe something at 50.
    My mother-in-law lives at the bottom of the hill beside me. I would have to shoot through the ground to hit her house but stranger things have happened. How tall, how wide, and how deep would you make it?:ar15:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am wanting to build a rifle range and a pistol range behind my house. Just something for me and the friends to play with. How big of a hill should I build for the both?
    Rifle range will be 100 yards and the pistol range will be 25 yards, and maybe something at 50.
    My mother-in-law lives at the bottom of the hill beside me. I would have to shoot through the ground to hit her house but stranger things have happened. How tall, how wide, and how deep would you make it?:ar15:

I would say twice as tall and wide as you think you need, things happen, people mess up. I have seen people with little 5 ft tall X 5 ft wide mounds. At 100 yards it only takes a few degrees of error to completely miss.

I had an adjustable sight break on a pistol once and the bullet completely cleared the edge of the target board and hit in the dirt berm about 3 feet over my board. That was 5 feet above point of aim at 25 yards. How high do you think that would be at 100 yards? I was lucky, there was nothing within 2 miles of the backstop, far out of range for .45acp.

I am pretty sure it counts as being really bad to lob a few into the Mother In Laws house

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    And remember just because she is down hill doesn't mean you have to shoot through ground for her house to be affected, or anyone beyond her, bullets travel in arcs not lines.

rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012

How long have you been married, and what do you think of your mother-in-law :):

If I would have been considering a similar project when I first got married, I would have put up a 4' tall pile of dirt.

Now I would make the pile 25' tall because I know that the woman is a Saint. That is because I have been married to her daughter for 23+ years, I know what the woman had to go through:laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother put a small range, only 25 yards, but that's about all the room available, in his front yard. His berm is about 5 feet tall, about 15 feet wide, and about 10 feet thick at the base, with a wall of railroad ties tied together behind the dirt.

This has stopped everything up to, and including, .308 Winchester, .30/06, 7.7 Jap, .303 British, .454 Casull, 500 S&W magnum...

YMMV

Top Bottom