• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    It has long been a dream of mine to run my own business, well with the limited availability to an all "guns range" my buddy and I are speaking with some folks that could sell some property and know some people who could help us "build" the range. My biggest concern is the profitability along with the strict regulations.

We would like to make a long distance range for those shooting high powered rifles. So we were thinking up to 500 yards, does anyone know of the regulations of running an outdoor range. We are in the Greenwood/Bargersville area. I have a lot of ideas however I don't know much about the industry or the feasibility of such an endeavor. Hopefully with ammo prices coming back down more folks will be frequenting shooting ranges.

Any and all input or opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.:rockwoot:

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I don't know if they still offer it, but the NRA used to offer a manual that covers the many aspects of building and operating a shooting range.

I picked one up six or seven years ago... a lot of good info in it.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Best of luck, hope it goes well. In addition to what is above, the following is what comes to mind, no doubt there is much more.

1. Start making "nice" with county zoning & planning.
    2. Start making "nice" with county zoning & planning.
    3. Check around to see if any neighbors will be in opposition.
    4. Contact NRA with your plans.
    5. Find out requrements for insurance coverage, NRA may be able to help with this.
    6. Ask NRA for suggestions on dealing with EPA & IDEM.
    7. Start making "nice" with county zoning & planning.
    8. Don't forget to plan & project for a massive increase in property taxes once it is open, especially in JOCO.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    More power to you! There are outdoor shooting ranges around, so it can be done. I'm near Johnson county so if you open it, I'll be there. Good luck!

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Hey guys thanks for all the great info I will start doing my research on the matter. I would love to run a range, I assumed the liability would be rather high. I am planning on having the range barricaded in by a mound of dirt surrounding the premises which I assume would help lower some of the risk. Either way I would love to carry this out both for living out my dream along with getting to meet new people who share my interests. If you have any additional ideas or features you'd like to see let me know and I'll be doing the leg work for sometime. Again thanks for all the info and advice.

As a side note I was thinking south of bargersville as to allow for seclusion with the constant noise occurring at a range.

Top Bottom