• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    What would be the best ammo for shooting skeet? Also, do many of you have a good deal of experience shooting skeet with a pump action shotgun? It seems pretty challenging, especially to a shotgun newbie like me.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I grew up shooting skeet with a pump, a remmy 870 and mossy 500, and you can do it. I have an over/under now and love that but you won't have a problem using an pump. As far as ammo, I personally shoot better with winchester quail. It doesn't make any sense but thats what works for me. They make specific loads for skeet/trap to give you a better chance at hitting the clay, and its not too expensive either. :twocents:

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    M deaner...what is your problem man? Others here seem to take my questions seriously and have responded in kind. What happened to being polite to other members? I am asking for that which I don't know since most of my experience has been with handguns. So come on...what's up with you?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Shoot Winchester AA's #8 for skeet and 16 yard line trap. For anything farther back I shoot 7 1/2s
    If you ever decide to reload them you will be glad you shoot AAs!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    My understanding is if you are going to be serious about skeet you do need to shoot the better ammo. The shot is harder, so I was told many years ago. THis will lead to better patterns and more broken pigeons.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    When we do our group clay shoots down south everyone uses just the walmart stuff. Whatever those large bulk packs are. Nothing fancy.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks Hotdoger...I just don't get him. I'm trying to make posts with some substance and not just reply with one worders as I tried earlier before knowing that there was a regulation prohibiting it. I know the archives are full of the same questions and answers but its nice to interact with live people and not just read post after post.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Remington Gun Club shells are a good value for shooting skeet. Dicks Sporting goods frequently has a sale\rebate on these shells.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    What would be the best ammo for shooting skeet? Also, do many of you have a good deal of experience shooting skeet with a pump action shotgun? It seems pretty challenging, especially to a shotgun newbie like me.

For what it's worth, spending an afternoon with a few loads and patterning your shotgun does wonders for good shooting. I've had guns that throw holes in patterns, had them shoot left or low of center, and have seen guys shoot tight chokes, too tight for skeet. . Having confidence in the gun/choke/load allows you to concentrate on YOU. Remember, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

I shoot at the Indiana Gun Club when I'm not hunting, let us know when you're headed out next and we'll join you. Nothing helps your shotgunning like 6 guys telling you how you're doing it wrong! Ha!

Be safe and enjoy!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Are you shooting clays in the back yard or shooting real skeet on a course?

For shooting in the back yard you don't need anything fancy. The promotional loads from walmart are OK, but 1 1/8 oz of shot is overkill and just causes you more recoil. Usually use 1 oz or even 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga for this type of shooting. If you are really into shooting skeet on a range then you use better loads.

msgro22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    eastside of indy
    dicks had remington cases 200 round count for 39.99 picked up 2 cases.. it my first year in sceet and trap. I LOVE IT....went to indiana gun club for first time 3 weeks ago, liked it better then atubry. guys were nice there and help full....

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    :
    What would be the best way to boost post count over 50?

There are some highly rep'd INGO'rs who post 20+ posts a day, yet you seem to be stalking this man's threads to berate him.:dunno: Joined in Oct. and 2-3 weeks later gets 50posts?:rolleyes: YEAH, HOW AWFUL!:nuts: If you don't like his posts, hit the ignore button.

Top Bottom