• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    26" but a gun that fits and you have cofidence in is great at any length.

Plus the obvious differences between O/U, Semi and pump

PS: Just saw your Skeet post. I recently bought a shotgun that I intend to use as "double duty" HD, Clays, 3 gun and bad weather bird hunting (Ok that is 4 uses). It happens to be a 26" Benelli M2 American in 20 gauge.

I am going to let my GF have her favorite Beretta of mine and then the Benelli back fills it for me but also gives her an HD/gaming shotgun that uses same basic controls as her favorite clays gun. I am just going to pick up a second barrel for HD use. It is not a critical gun as she has Handguns, AR's and a PCR but the shotgun is a good multipurpose beater.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm looking at some 26" 20g or 28" 12g O/U. The only time I've tried shooting skeet was with my coach gun and that doesn't work so well.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    With interchangeable choke tubes you can make a 24", 26" and 28" pretty versatile. What counts is what feels, fits and swings well.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    the pros have started switching to 30inch barrels. they like the swing better. i wouldnt go any less than 28 that way i could have a gun i can shot other clay sports with. and you would be hard pressed to find a quailty gun for skeet under 28in barrels any way. there are field grade gun with short barrels. but if it says skeet on the side it no less that 28.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You can find Browning 26 inch skeet as well as Remington 3200s, Berettas, SKBs, etc. I generally shot 26 inch for skeet for many years, I also used the same guns for upland game. I would just start going to a skeet field and talk to folks. Even if they won't let you shoot their gun most will let you try it for fit. Get the feel for as many as you can and then start looking from there. Jaqua's in Ohio will even let you shoot some birds if you are looking at a used gun.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Shorter barrels swing "faster", longer barrels swing smoother (help you continue that swing through after pulling the trigger). Real skeet (regulation field) is a short range game. I have always used 28" or 30", my personal preference.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Whichever one you shoot best.

I went on a skeet shooting tear when I first moved to Indiana and my favorite gun was a 28" barreled 391. But I never shot sporting clays worth a dime with it, preferring a 30" version of the same.

safarihunter

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    South Bend
    As mentioned above, what ever fits you best is the right length for you. I have different brands with different barrel lengths because in thet model X barrellength worked best for me.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Whichever one you shoot best.

I went on a skeet shooting tear when I first moved to Indiana and my favorite gun was a 28" barreled 391. But I never shot sporting clays worth a dime with it, preferring a 30" version of the same.

I have a 28" 391 as well and it has served me very well shooting Sporting Clays and skeet.

Top Bottom