• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Just recently started shooting skeet. My shooting buddy wants to shoot in a local league. I'm currently using a semi auto shot gun and advice on an entry level over and under?

Last edited:

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with using a semi auto, I've used a Beretta 391 for years. You can use a pump if you want, guys i shoot sporting clays with, one uses a model 12 another and older 870, they will out shoot 80% of everyone else. I'd spend money on practice unless you really just want an O/U. Most of the people i shoot with that have O/U seem to have Browning, go to a place like Indiana Gun Club and test a bunch to see what fits you, it's all about the fit.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Honestly you can shoot with what you've got if you don't want to buy a gun. I've seen a guy not just out shoot but butt stomp $10-$12k O/U's with a benelli M2. I'd shoot and save until you not only decide but know what you want.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I'm honestly fine sticking with what I have. I'll just go pick up a skeet choke for it. I'd like to get good enough to use a pump. I have an old 870 I think would be fun to use.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The O/U will swing slower from side to side than a single barrel gun. Thats why the barrels are split/seperated on the High Dollar Guns. A Semi-Auto is a perfect Skeet Gun, you can concentrate on the Targets more.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    You're already starting out better than me. I was using a Mossberg 500 when I was in a league years ago. I wanted to get an over/under but $$ was not in the budget. I seen plenty of people at the range using autoloaders and doing just fine with them. I've recently thought about picking up a Rem Auto 12ga and trying it out again.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I was stationed out in Tucson, AZ back in the 1990's. We had a skeet range out at the end of a looooong road on Davis-Monthan AFB. I was out there every weekend shooting. Smoked many a retired General and Colonel shooting high dollar Kreighoffs and Perazzis ($10,000-$20,000 guns) using an 870 Express, rifle sighted 18" slug barrel choked IC. However, there was this one older retired MSgt who shot an old Parker SXS...that dude could shoot!

So, use what you got and get good with it!

Slonsteady

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    We shoot skeet all year at Twin Bridges in Danville. Tuesday, Thursday 5 to 9 pm Sunday Noon to 5, and 5 stand starting Saturday the 31st. Come on out and shoot with us.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I shoot clays with everything from $100 pumps to $10,000 Perazzi's....I am equally bad with all.

You'll have to find and shoot what points and swing best for you.

Nothing wrong with a semi-auto. I took a Stoeger 3500 to the trap range just to break it in and found out I shoot it as good (err. not as bad) as my Brownings for a fraction of the cost.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I was stationed out in Tucson, AZ back in the 1990's. We had a skeet range out at the end of a looooong road on Davis-Monthan AFB. I was out there every weekend shooting. Smoked many a retired General and Colonel shooting high dollar Kreighoffs and Perazzis ($10,000-$20,000 guns) using an 870 Express, rifle sighted 18" slug barrel choked IC. However, there was this one older retired MSgt who shot an old Parker SXS...that dude could shoot!

So, use what you got and get good with it!

Using what you got is okay advice. Depends on how serious the OP wants to get. If he wants to be a casual shooter and mess with skeet a little bit with his friends shooting out behind the barn that’s fine. If he wants to get a little better he should at least consider a good semi automatic such as a Remington 1100/1187 or one of the Beretta 390 series. If he wants to improve even more a nice quality over and under will be a route he should take.

Beating someone at skeet who is shooting a $10,000 shotgun while you’re using a short barreled field stocked pump gun may happen once in awhile, but I’ll wager on the over and under shooter in the long run.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Maybe I should get a new barrel? The barrel on my gun now only has the one fluorescent sight at the end of the barrel. I've head it's better to have two sights to line up with. Or does it ''REALLY'' matter?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe I should get a new barrel? The barrel on my gun now only has the one fluorescent sight at the end of the barrel. I've head it's better to have two sights to line up with. Or does it ''REALLY'' matter?

For me, it doesn't matter, because I suck.

FYI, I upgraded to a skeet barrel for the 1100, that made a difference.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The O/U will swing slower from side to side than a single barrel gun. Thats why the barrels are split/seperated on the High Dollar Guns. A Semi-Auto is a perfect Skeet Gun, you can concentrate on the Targets more.

For less wind resistance?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

I would wager thousands of 25 straights are shot every weekend with single bead barrels. A center bead is handy if you want to "stack" the beads to build in some vertical lead when shooting trap, but it's not needed for skeet in the least.

Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun while wingshooting. This is why a proper mount and a good fitting gun that compliments your particular body and mount is so important.

Shoot what you have, have fun while you get better, and if you find it becomes a passion THEN look into a new scattergun.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I use an old heavily used Remington 11-87 with a single bead sight and fixed full choke. i like the full choke for sporting clays when the clay is way out there and dusting the ones up close. i outshoot the guys i go out with every time. (maybe im a normal shot and they just suck?) but ill shoot 85/100 with an old wore out 11-87.
    My dad gave me a new mossberg silver reserve O/U and i cant swing that thing to save my life.
    Shoot what you have, if im going to spend $10-20,000 on a clay gun it better hit the target every time, shooting clay seeking lead.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Thanks for the input. I noticed I did a lot better my second time with the 8 instead of 7 1/2. Think I'll just make a point to hit the range at least once a weekend or every other weekend at least.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Air resistance

Correct, O/U has twice the area to catch Air. I heard this from Ralph Braden, Pro at the Winchester Gun Club in Ft. Wayne. This was nearly 50 years ago. Ralph was an Encyclopedia of Trap/Skeet Shooting.

I must respectfully beg to differ with you and Mr. Braden re: wind resistance and over/under shotgun barrels. 50 years ago the predominant firearm for shooting skeet and trap was a 26” or 30” barreled Model 12. There are still people who can rack the slide proficiently on doubles skeet with a Model 12, but there are fewer and fewer of them all the time. If you’re suggesting a pump gun is the preferred shotgun of choice to shoot either competitive trap, skeet, or sporting clays for score I submit you are woefully incorrect. If your goal is having fun then shoot what you want. If your goal is shooting consistently good/great scores shoot an over and under.

Perhaps you should consider replacing Mr. Braden as your mentor and replace him with Todd Bender or any of the other top competitive shotgun shooters of today. As I said, shoot what you want. As for me, when I get serious I’ll shoot my tubed K80.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I must respectfully beg to differ with you and Mr. Braden re: wind resistance and over/under shotgun barrels. 50 years ago the predominant firearm for shooting skeet and trap was a 26” or 30” barreled Model 12. There are still people who can rack the slide proficiently on doubles skeet with a Model 12, but there are fewer and fewer of them all the time. If you’re suggesting a pump gun is the preferred shotgun of choice to shoot either competitive trap, skeet, or sporting clays for score I submit you are woefully incorrect. If your goal is having fun then shoot what you want. If your goal is shooting consistently good/great scores shoot an over and under.

Perhaps you should consider replacing Mr. Braden as your mentor and replace him with Todd Bender or any of the other top competitive shotgun shooters of today. As I said, shoot what you want. As for me, when I get serious I’ll shoot my tubed K80.

I'll play the game - I disagree with you on that you have to shoot an over under if you want to be good / great at skeet as you say. Shoot what you shoot best. For some people that is an over under for others it is a semi-auto. But for you to say the only way to be good / great and consistent at skeet is to shoot an over under is wrong. I can tell you that my sons can use a $350 Girsan semi-auto at 5-stand for their 4-H competitions and repeatedly outscore others who have $1500 over / under shotguns. Shoot what you are best with and not limit yourself to just one style of shotgun because someone tells you that it has to be an over /under.

Top Bottom