• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Ever since a friend of mine moved to TX, I wanted to fulfill one of my bucket list, hunt to eat wild hog. But how much of shooting or hunting skills does one has to develop in order to hunt as humanly as possible. I never hunt anything that big before and want to be prepared before heading down to TX.

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I am new to a rifle shooting and never had any formal training. Just shooting paper targets whenever I can. My groups are about 1 1/2 to 2 moa at 100 - 150yds with TC Compass 30-06 or Rem 700 ADL with factory ammo. I just started reloading my ammo and trying to get my group under 1 moa. BTW most of my shootings are done using sandbag or bipod.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you can hold 4 MOA, you can kill hogs perty dead. If you can hold 2 MOA, you can make it look good. If you can hold 1/2 MOA, it's probably only on the range, and hogs don't get shot on the range.

Just get a decent rifle, practice some with it, and if you still suck and/or can't shoot things that move, then take a shotgun too.

-Nate

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    While your rifle skills should be your number one priority, your woodsman skills are a very close second. Understanding the habits of what your hunting, knowing the land/terrain that you are hunting on will up your odds for a successful hunt/harvest. :twocents:

Last edited:

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for your insights. I grew up in NYC and moved to Indiana for a job in 2006. I always wanted to do more outdoor activities, but family and work kept me busy so far. Now I have a little more freedom and want to savor life little differently while I can. I think I like that alot. Thanks again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think you got great advice so far, so I'm going to reinforce that. Absolutely get take a training course. Revere's Riders or Appleseed teach a very structured competitive shooting style that teaches 100% proper technique, but the only draw back is that you're not moving and neither is the target. Don't get me wrong, those are great and something like that should be step 1, but I'm just trying to say you're not done after one of those. Step 2 might be good to take a fighting/defensive rifle class. This will likely have targets that don't move, but will make you move and take shots from weird awkward positions with your heartbeat up that you're not going to see on Camp Perry type shooting matches. That's just the marksmanship side of the hunting which really is a pretty small part of it. If you go somewhere and spend a day or many days you may only spend minutes or even seconds getting setup and taking one shot if you're lucky, but that shot is critical so learn how to do it.

Personally I think the larger portion of it is all in the fieldcraft/bushcraft/stalking types of skills that will eventually allow you to get into a position where you need to be able to use all that good training I mentioned above. I've hunted deer in MI, WI, and IN. I've hunted Black Bear in Maine, Ontario (3 times), pheasants mostly put and take locally, and so on. I've been deployed by uncle sam. I'm not the most knowledgeable or experienced guy out there, but I'm just saying I've travelled and seen some different terrain and the best training I've ever gotten as a foundation of all general outdoorsman skillsets was the Basic Survival Class at the Pathfinder school in Jackson OH. I think so highly of that class that I've told my wife that all our kids will take it before they leave the nest so that I feel better about them being out on their own some day. That class gets you up to speed where should feel confident about your abilities to get outdoors and introduces you to soooo much that is so vitally important.

Do those kinds of classes we're all talking about and you will speed up your learning curve incredibly. I wish I'd taken civilian training classes so much earlier in life because I learned a lot of things the hard way and didn't always feel so smart.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Get a high capacity magazine and fill it full of ammunition. When you see a hog, point the end of the gun towards it and keep pulling the trigger. Shells are cheap.

That's how they hog hunt in Texas. KEEP SHOOTING!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    A hog hunt was my first hunt. Like you, I didn’t get an opportunity early in life.

But I spent a year or more planning and learning all I could prior to taking my pig.
    Hog anatomy is unique. I’m convinced the tales of .44 magnum bullets being stopped by the grissle plate are incorrect. Well, except that the bullets were stopped prior to going through and through.

As others have said, location and style of hunting will make a big difference.

Stalking? Tree stand? Terrain? Feral? Javalina? All these will come in to play. And you may not own the correct firearm, depending upon where you will be hunting.

But a 2” placement at 100 yds will take down any animal in North America with a 30-06. I’d feel pretty darn confident on almost any animal in the world. It’s a wonderful round. And 2” is pretty precise.

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Get a high capacity magazine and fill it full of ammunition. When you see a hog, point the end of the gun towards it and keep pulling the trigger. Shells are cheap.

That's how they hog hunt in Texas. KEEP SHOOTING!

That sounds like fun but I want to enjoy and experience "Hunting" hogs, not "shooting" at them.
    I also want to learn the whole process of hunting, not just pulling trigger on them. Any range with paper tsrget can fullfill my happy trigger pulling feeling.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Most hog hunting is typically a stalk type hunt at night. Invest in a tripod - I use a Jim Shockey trigger stick. Get a thermal scope. Ultimate night vision rents them.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I am new to a rifle shooting and never had any formal training. Just shooting paper targets whenever I can. My groups are about 1 1/2 to 2 moa at 100 - 150yds with TC Compass 30-06 or Rem 700 ADL with factory ammo. I just started reloading my ammo and trying to get my group under 1 moa. BTW most of my shootings are done using sandbag or bipod.

Once you get your groups good, try some prone and off hand shots. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out with local knowledge of terrain etc,

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Shots on hogs at 120 yards are not easy. It's like they don't stop you have to try and be where they are going to be, and it isn't like a goose because the hogs are random as hell. I wouldn't bank too much on being able to go prone, or to do any of the fancy shooting that you learn at revere's appleseed etc... maybe the standing position. I think they are great training, but I wouldn't say they prepare you for a distance shot on a hog. I just went on a hunt outside of Lawton ok and highly suggest getting out and doing it, but you will not be prepared your first time with a pack running in and moving around a feed plot like a wave.

First thing is to get the right equipment. My guide cringed when I said i'd be using a 223, I ended up killing one but it ran a long way. I got a picture of it the next day as I shot near dusk. Headshot was not in the playbook for me, we were at 125 yards and that head is awful small and fast moving and does not stop. I wish I would have had something that would have given me a more forgiving shot like 308, 6.5creed, etc... If it were something I was able to do more than once every 31 years I'd probably feel better using 223 and 300blk, but next time I go i'll have my 260rem. The landowners want multi kills, they want highly successful hunts with lots of removed hogs. I was told to "let loose" but I had a hard enough time hitting one cleanly. A suppressor would have made for clean follow up shots.

I'd go during the day if you are not with an experienced guide. Hogs will go into a frenzy, and they are tough as nails.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Hogg hunting doesn't require much skill. Most of the time you should be able to find the little bastard standing perfectly still in front of a camera.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    In Texas most hunting is done by baiting. If you want closer shots put the bait closer. We trickled it up and down Sendero’s. We spot and stalked them after we did this. Never done it with a firearm.

Top Bottom