• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the last several years I've shot thousands of rounds at a range that has a slow fire rule. During that time, I've accumulated a small collection of guns for various purposes, some of which were bought for carry use. I recently joined MCFG where there is no slow fire rule and have been able to test guns in a way that is much closer to practical use. The results have been pretty interesting (to me at least).

Some of the guns I bought with the idea that they'd make a good carry gun have not fared so well, where as others that I wondered about have done pretty good. The first surprise was my Sig P238. It's a great pocket gun and is fun to shoot at the range but I never thought it would be something that would work well in a fast shooting situation. It turns out that this little gun loves to work fast. It comes down back on target very nicely and should work well in a high stress situation.

My CZ 75 Compact was no surprise at all though. I always thought it would work well in a quick shooting situation and I was right. I'm amazed at how quickly I can accurately shoot that gun. The long trigger reset is not an issue at all when fired quickly. I love shooting that gun. I'm guessing that if I ever make it to heaven, I'll find that a CZ 75 is the gun that God carries (when he's not sporting his 1911s).

My Kimber Compact was a surprise. I used to worry about the stronger recoil of the aluminum framed gun when combined with a fairly light trigger and short reset. I need not have worried at all. That gun is very controllable and is much easier to fire quickly than I had imagined it would be. It's not as fast coming down as the CZ 75 Compact, but is quite nice to fire at my limits. It's a keeper for sure.

My RIA Compact was also a surprise, but not in a good way. For some reason, it's not working that well for me and I have not been able to fire it as quickly as the Kimber. It might be the tiny sights or the balance. I had assumed that being all steel, it would be much better to shoot rapidly but it's not. I still like the gun a lot, and think that it's most likely just needing to get used to it.

My CZ 97B was the biggest disappointment though. I really like shooting that gun, but cannot comfortably shoot it very quickly. It may be the size, as it's the biggest gun I have. It's a wonderfully accurate gun to shoot at a measured pace though. At the SKS shoot this spring, I was able to ring the steel target at 50 yards 8 out of 10 times. It really does not matter with this one though, as I really doubt I'll every try to carry it. It makes a great gun for long distance plinking.

One of these days, I'll take my Ultra Carry out to see how well that one comes back down on target after firing. I don't expect that one to be as nice as the Kimber Compact, but who knows... It might just surprise me too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I might be. I've been toying with selling something to fund a winch for my Jeep, but trades can be fun too. What do you have?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    bowling pins. next Saturday, @ MCF&G. sounds like it's right up your alley. (I crack me up)

8am - 1pm, 10/22, the day, not the rifle. gonna hafta start telling that joke on an annual basis.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Over the last several years I've shot thousands of rounds at a range that has a slow fire rule.

It shocks me that some people in Indiana have a hard time finding a good place to shoot, glad you finally did!

One of these days, I'll take my Ultra Carry out to see how well that one comes back down on target after firing. I don't expect that one to be as nice as the Kimber Compact, but who knows... It might just surprise me too.

My Kimber Ultra did fairly well for me in IDPA and is pretty decent when firing fast, just be careful with mag changes if you use full size or 8 round mags without the grip adapter- broke my extractor off doing that and caused months of headache trying to figure out why my stock 7 round mags work fine but the Wilson 8 rounders cause it to jamb all the time.

Top Bottom