• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Having never shot an IDPA match or other for that matter. My question is do ypu have to be above average shooter to start shooting some matches? I know safety is paramont but is it accommodating tothe average? Also I reload, what about spent brass retrieval?

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    No, new shooters are welcome and en,courted to join, safety is the No. 1 priority. There is usually a new shooter meeting before the match to go over things.

brass depends on the range, some allow you to pick it up after the match is done and props are stored, others allow you to pick up after you shoot.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    AJM everyone starts as a beginner so no you do not have to be highly skilled. That is what these matches help to develop. If you have never watched one in person then I recommend you watch one and learn the flow of things. You will find most people very helpful at these matches.

As far as safety goes. Yes this is paramount. Have someone explain the procedures at the match so that you understand where to do what and when.

Don't show up at the match with your carry piece on your hip. The ranges are COLD ranges and you only are loaded on the firing line.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Everyone was a beginner at their first match! Every match I've been to has started (or before the actual start) with a new shooters meeting. It can be as simple as "Have you shot with us before? ...ok, here's how it'll work..." or it could be somebody with a notecard to make sure they don't forget anything.

NO ONE is going to sit by and watch you drown! If it's obvious or you make it known that you're new, people will be talking to you all day. It looks intimidating from the outside, but it's really a come-one-come-all atmosphere!

Search this forum for a match near you and you can post questions right in that thread or PM whoever started the thread on the match. That person is volunteering their time because they love the sport and they Want to help you!

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Also, before attending a match, unload your gun. Then make sure it's not loaded. Finally, check to make sure it's unloaded. Now zip it up tight in it's own bag or pouch away from all magazines, ammo, and anything that looks like magazines or ammo. I've seen a couple people get instant DQ's for showing up with a loaded gun. Its a bummer for everyone involved! But safety is important to everyone, so the RO will do his/her job to keep everyone safe.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    To the original question; NO! Safe; YES! I have been shooting for close to ten years and am still pretty much an average shooter. And at my age I don't see myself getting any better. I rarely come in dead last at a match and have a lot of fun and that is good enough for me. Jim.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Having never shot an IDPA match or other for that matter. My question is do ypu have to be above average shooter to start shooting some matches? I know safety is paramont but is it accommodating tothe average? Also I reload, what about spent brass retrieval?

Why would you expect to be above average at something the first time out at it? Roughly half the people in the match will be below average, and some of them have already been doing it for some time. Make a resolution that you're probably going to be in that bottom group, but you're going to have more fun than anybody, and you may be in the other group before you know it.

As for spent brass, most matches don't make much (convenient) provision for you to get it back. Many matches will be in a gravel environment, and tarps are not always put down to catch brass. It's one of those things you just have to consign yourself to as part of the cost of doing business for something you love. (Or...use it as an excuse to go buy yourself a new revolver!)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll echo others. Show up, be safe. Let them know you are new. Ask LOTS of questions.

I know at least IDPA matches, its not a hard core competition. Everyone is there to have fun, not ruthlessly beat each other at all cost. I dont even worry about my score and where I place. I go, have fun, do my best, and then when its all said and done I check my score when its posted.

Just make sure you are competent and safe in handling a firearm. You should be competent in loading and unloading your weapon, drawing it from the holster, reloading it quickly, clearing malfunctions, and shooting while on the move. If all you have ever done is stand at an indoor range and shot it after picking it up off the bench, practice drawing it and reloading until you are comfortable. (without ammo around unloaded of course)

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    Another option would be to start with a steel match. In my experience they tend to be a little more relaxed competition wise and a lot less intimidating to a new shooter.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I showed up to my first carry match with a loaded 1911 in an IWB. The SO said, make ready.
    I told him I'd been ready since 6 am when I got up.
    He was not amused.
    But, he did let me shoot.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    You are welcome at the matches. All of the replies you have so far are how we feel about new shooters. New shooters are the lifeblood of our sport and we want you to learn, be comfortable and make lots of new friends. Be safe and follow all of the advice given above and you will have a great start on a new passion.
    PS: Your gun budget will go way up after your first match.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    You don't have where you are from. Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish & Game would be a good place to start . No movement, relaxed atmosphere, a lot of nice people. After that ,try a USPSA match , not as many rules as IDPA and after 1st IDPA match you have to join . You do not have to join USPSA to shoot matches.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, we may all be a beginner at our first match as far as shooting IDPA or whatever competition we sign up for. But, we are not all new shooters. I know plenty of very accomplished shooters with thousand's of round downrange who finally decide to shoot their first match.

That being said, as a new shooter and new to action type shooting, I have been welcomed to the few events I have done. The funny thing is, at least with me is I am nervous standing around waiting to start, attending the new shooter meeting and dividing up into squads, but once it's my turn and I hear the "beep" in my ear, I forget about everyone else that may or may not be watching me.

I wouldn't be afraid to do an IDPA match first but I agree with Kaga that a steel Challenge is a really good start. You take the movement out of the equation but still get the multiple targets and reloads to do.

My first summer when I was looking into the action arena was spent watching different events to see what attracted me. I spectated IDPA, Steel Challenge, CASS, 3-gun, Hi-power(from a distance while at the IDPA match), and USPSA.

CASS was out due to gear needed and the infatuation with not addressing anyone by their real name.
    3-gun is out due to gear needed and I feel that 3-gun is a little complex for a new shooter. At least it is for me. I do triathlons, but I have a strong background in swimming and a moderate ability in the bike and run. With 3-gun, I would be at best a novice with a shotgun and rifle, and only moderately capable with a pistol.

The rest I am open to though IDPA floats to the top.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Well, we may all be a beginner at our first match as far as shooting IDPA or whatever competition we sign up for. But, we are not all new shooters. I know plenty of very accomplished shooters with thousand's of round downrange who finally decide to shoot their first match.

That being said, as a new shooter and new to action type shooting, I have been welcomed to the few events I have done. The funny thing is, at least with me is I am nervous standing around waiting to start, attending the new shooter meeting and dividing up into squads, but once it's my turn and I hear the "beep" in my ear, I forget about everyone else that may or may not be watching me.

I wouldn't be afraid to do an IDPA match first but I agree with Kaga that a steel Challenge is a really good start. You take the movement out of the equation but still get the multiple targets and reloads to do.

My first summer when I was looking into the action arena was spent watching different events to see what attracted me. I spectated IDPA, Steel Challenge, CASS, 3-gun, Hi-power(from a distance while at the IDPA match), and USPSA.

CASS was out due to gear needed and the infatuation with not addressing anyone by their real name.
    3-gun is out due to gear needed and I feel that 3-gun is a little complex for a new shooter. At least it is for me. I do triathlons, but I have a strong background in swimming and a moderate ability in the bike and run. With 3-gun, I would be at best a novice with a shotgun and rifle, and only moderately capable with a pistol.

The rest I am open to though IDPA floats to the top.

Good to know, I should try out some steel sometime I think... I know a guy who's been trying to get me to do 3gun but I swear those dudes have to end up with $10K+ in gear to compete! It's crazy!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good to know, I should try out some steel sometime I think... I know a guy who's been trying to get me to do 3gun but I swear those dudes have to end up with $10K+ in gear to compete! It's crazy!

And dont forget the cool converted baby strollers. If you NEED a stroller to carry around all your gear, maybe you have too much gear. Not that they are CHOOSING to carry too much, just that to actually shoot the match you need that much stuff. Seems crazy to me. But I wont stop them from playing their chosen game. More power to them.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I USED to shoot FNS, at MCFG, once a month ..... When I had .22 in stock, and could buy it at reasonable prices.....

I am NOT any where near average .....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I USED to shoot FNS, at MCFG, once a month ..... When I had .22 in stock, and could buy it at reasonable prices.....

I am NOT any where near average .....

Yeah, but you have that nice optic on your Ruger! :)

I shot FNS there once but I made a big mistake for my first time and shot a .45 auto with factory ammo. I should have brought my Ruger MKII!:)

Top Bottom