• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was at the range today shooting my M&P9c at some steel targets and all of a sudden i feel a sharp pain under my armpit (expecting to look down and see a hole with blood pouring out). Lifted my arm and found a piece of lead stuck to my jacket. There is a big bruise now but didn't make it through

I am a novice when it comes to shooting steel and i love to do it when i go to an actual range instead of always shooting paper. Is this a Common thing to occur? If so, why do people do it? :n00b:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It happens sometimes, but I've never seen more than a shard. I keep doing it because it's fun and no better form of immediate feedback.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Junk target.
    The only shrapnel I've ever got shooting good steel is from 5.56 from WAY too close. Lovemywoods has a great write up on how bullets come apart when they hit a good steel target.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    it wasn't a fixed target. it was a circle piece of steel (looked smooth) and it was angled forward because when shot, it falls back and then it needs to be reset by pulling a rope. I was about 10 yards away.

I love shooting steel because i like how reactive it is immediately, but like i said, i'm just starting out and i didn't know if there was actually some kind of "danger" to it. I didn't figure so since so many people do, just wanted INGO's experience.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Splatter happens. Good [wrap-around] eye pro is important.

Even if you have a perfect target, hung loose and angled forward (you want it fwd w/ the top towards you, so more splatter goes to the ground than up), you may still get frag. A lot of it comes off the stands/mounts, too. For this reason I prefer wood stands as they absorbe a lot of the crap rather than bounce it back at you like angle iron can.

Always stay 8-10 yds away for pistol.

I usually catch a couple small frags/year. Some bounce off, some may stick in the skin a little. That's attending matches where not only am I shooting, but dozens of folks around me, too... on targets that are sometimes needing replaced (pitted/bowed) w/ steel stands. I don't know that I've caught frags off my practice targets..... but I've been carefull not to abuse/pit them, hang them properly, and use wood stands.....

Tough it out and have fun! :) (and put some bandaids in the range bag).

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom