• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Does anyone do this?

I'm thinking of this more as a training practice for getting better at shooting at moving targets with other firearms, but it could be a fun challenge as well.

Thanks,
    D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Does anyone do this?

I'm thinking of this more as a training practice for getting better at shooting at moving targets with other firearms, but it could be a fun challenge as well.

Thanks,
    D
    Shotgunning IS great training but the .410 is not the way to learn. You will be struggling with the gauge and not learning much of anything. In order to learn you need to make hits.

If you don't want to use 12, start with a 20. You don't give up much and using a 20 does force you to not be as sloppy.

If you use .410, you better use Full Choke and get up close. 3" shells are better too but there you go, the cost of .410 ammo will pay for a shotgun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shoot a little better than 96% from the 16 yard singles line with my regular 12 gauge trap gun. With a .410, I shoot about 65%. My .410 only takes 2-1/2 inch shells, so that little 1/2 oz charge of number 8's does not make a very big pattern. It certainly makes you humble.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Shotgunning IS great training but the .410 is not the way to learn. You will be struggling with the gauge and not learning much of anything. In order to learn you need to make hits.

If you don't want to use 12, start with a 20. You don't give up much and using a 20 does force you to not be as sloppy.

If you use .410, you better use Full Choke and get up close. 3" shells are better too but there you go, the cost of .410 ammo will pay for a shotgun.

Good point. Here is some of the back story on the question. I now have both a TC encore and a TC contender. I really like the contender for just plinking and also plan to use it for squirrel and rabbit hunting (with a 22 LR). The Encore is going to be used for bigger calibers and going after bigger game. My thought was to get the 12 gauge barrel for the Encore to start with, and then progress to the 410 for the Contender. The whole idea being that if I'm forced to take a shot at something that is moving, if I've practiced with that particular platform at a shotgun, I'll have better chances of hitting what I want to with the rifle barrel on.

D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In WWII Bomber gunners were selected by riding around in a truck and shooting clays with a shotgun. Typically those who hunted and grew up rural did the best because they understood both lead and follow through on a moving target.

They came to find the same fact about WWII pilots. Something like 8% of the pilots made 90% of the kills, guys like Chuck Yeager, people who hunted.

A 12 gauge barrel for your Encore is a great idea. If you have a choice shoot sporting clays of some kind or 5 stand over Trap or skeet.

If your contender is a handgun, the .410 is kind of a novelty. I had a Contender for many years, the 44 mag with hotshot choke tube. Even if it is in a rifle configuration, kind of a non issue if both guns mount similar you can just continue to practice with your 12 gauge If you master a shotgun in general on a variety of shots, you will know what you need to know to use any shotgun and how to adjust if the gun does not fit you properly. The skills overlap any gun because it is your eyes and your brain that do the calculations. Proper gun mount is alwasy key before you shoot.

In general the .410 is an expensive handicap best suited to experts. It is not the best at hunting, defense or target and in general comes in last in all things.

Honestly, everyone should practice on moving targets and anyone with a shotgun for HD should shoot some 5 stand or sporting clays. Especially shots like the rabbit, incoming birds and low crossing shots.

First they would just ride around and use a shoulder mounted gun, then progress to one of these:

232323232%7Ffp539%3B8%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D339755%3C2%3A2346nu0mrj

Then these

232323232%7Ffp539%3B4%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D33975758%3C5346nu0mrj

Last edited:

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks again for all the replies. It's also nice to know that I'm not completely off my rocker with this idea.

Speaking of the contender specifically, I was planning on using it in the rifle configuration with the 410. I completely agree that the 410 pistol configuration really isn't worth a whole lot, unless you are shooting snakes from a tractor (that's what a lot of my relatives use a 410 for on the farm).

Thanks for all the advice on what trap, skeet and sporting clays games to start with and work at. I hadn't gotten that far yet, but since they do both trap and skeet at Atterbury, I'll have someplace to start.

D

Top Bottom