• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm not watching you shoot so I can't tell you what it is that's happening that is making this occur, that graphic posted is great for right handed shooters and is easy to flip when you practice support hand or for left handers. Some of the tricks listed also help tell you the same thing.

Stop going to the range with your spouse for a bit. I know it sounds mean but because of how that dynamic works for 99% of people out there, at some point it ends up adding pressure to preform rather than a learning environment where mistakes are ok. I give the same advice when someone is learning to drive a manual transmission. Practice on your own, seek out an instructor, find a buddy on INGO to go with; there are many options that can get you to build up the fundamentals without the pressure, then once you've got them down start up the dates to the range again.

Here's some reading on shooting techniques and mentality. They're good for everyone to read, even if it says female in the title.
    How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85
    Firearms handling refresher Part I: Handguns by Massad Ayoob 031207
    The subtleties of safe firearms handling by Massad Ayoob Issue #103
    Tailoring guns to females by Massad Ayoob Issue #131
    Armed and Female by Massad Ayoob Issue #63
    Women and guns by Massad Ayoob Issue #121
    If you like how those are written, pick up his books entitled "Stressfire" They make look a little dated but the techniques hold true.

Take a look here at the articles under "Shooting basics"
    Cornered Cat

Here are some videos from youtube that can be a start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Cf0WEeXZk&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22msLVCtPk8&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAni-MCJSUU

If you take a look on amazon type places you can usually find Magpul's Dynamic Art of the Handgun for $25-45, here is a trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

If you can find them, Handguns and personal defense TV have some great segments on various basic and intermediate techniques.

And all of that can provide you a decent starting knowledge base and a plethora of little tips to learn from and try to implement. However and I cannot stress this enough, you cannot learn how to shoot a gun on the internet, you cannot learn how to shoot a gun on the internet, you cannot learn how to shoot a gun on the internet; it is going to take some real practice, and you're going to need to accept constructive critique to be able to improve. Do a little dry fire every night, go to the range every week; and get some training from the professionals, on this site or ones listed around the country, every few months or every year; having a set of eyes that knows what to look for being able to teach you about it in a learning environment is when you're going to yield some real dividends. And once you get comfortable you can start going shooting with your spouse, and I'd recommend attending one of several competitions every few months as well, going up against other shooters and the timer can help you learn to "solve shooting problems" and put some extra pressure so that if you ever NEED to use a firearm, you've handled pressure and adrenaline while running the gun.

Thank you! We do watch a lot of Hickock(sp?)45s videos, i subscribed to it on youtube. And coincidentally, I just bought one of Massad's books on ebay last week- The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. I will look for some of the others as well.
    I know what you mean about spouse/family member training- went thru that when my dad taught me to drive a stick when i was a kid, and then i taught my kid when she was old enough! My husband actually taught me to ride a motorcycle :laugh:...i ended up going to some safety courses later on though.
    i'm at work, so i'll have to check most of these later- lunch is way over. ;)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Perhaps this will help. My first thought was sight alignment.

correction_chart.gif
    I actually do have that, i think maybe i found it here a few months ago! I like it.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Without seeing what you are doing when you break the shot, it is impossible to diagnose. There may be an answer in these replies somewhere but...

The first thing i would do, as has been suggested, is to shoot the pistols from a rest at known distances to see where the sights are regulated and go from there.

Last edited:

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    Are you using the same ammo?

I don't know what you shoot, but I am not particular, I shoot WWB, American Eagle, Rem UMC, Blazer, and every once in a while the Korean PMC. If I get to squeezing with my third and pinky I go low and some where between 6 and 7 o'clock. I have a finger exerciser I bought when I first started playing guitar that lets me maintain steady pressure with my second, third, and pinky while bringing my trigger straight back into a perfect follow through. That eliminates jerk and flinch. It really helped me. There are all kinds of theories on how to shoot pistol. Basically there isn't much to it; It just Ain't easy. Keep on practicing. Just my 2 cents Remember when you get tired, rest. A tired hand is not an accurate hand. And I usually use a rest at anything more than 7 yards

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I understand what you're saying about shooting worse when more people are around. I was doing the same thing. I was compensating too much for the recoil so I wouldnt look like a wuss shooting .40.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I understand what you're saying about shooting worse when more people are around. I was doing the same thing. I was compensating too much for the recoil so I wouldnt look like a wuss shooting .40.

Yep! I think i do it because i'm female, and feel like i'm being watched more. Plus, i just don't like to do poorly at anything, especially with witnesses!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    You are pulling with your support hand to get back on target quickly. Shoot one handed and see if you still hit so low.

Top Bottom