• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I took my 8 year old son shooting for the first time today. I felt like he was finally ready. We spent about two hours in the woods shooting paper targets, water bottles, and milk jugs. He was shooting a little Rossi .22/410 combo. I was surprised how accurate he was his first time out (he has shot BB guns before but still). He shot with the .410 barrel once and didn't want anymore than one of those! :)

As an aside, I went to get a box of ammo and found a Ruger 10/22 on sale so I picked it up ($204 at Dunham's). We had fun with it and it shoots great. As soon as we got home, my son yells out (very innocently), Mom we had a great time shooting and dad got a new gun! Got to love those kiddos!

i was reminded what the best part of shooting is tonight: being with the ones you love! {insert little sentimental, teary-eyed smiley here}

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i cant wait until i can post a similar thread. savanna is only 7 months old, i figure in about 2.5 years she will be ready. my wife says thats wishful thinking

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I took my 8 year old son shooting for the first time today. I felt like he was finally ready. We spent about two hours in the woods shooting paper targets, water bottles, and milk jugs. He was shooting a little Rossi .22/410 combo. I was surprised how accurate he was his first time out (he has shot BB guns before but still). He shot with the .410 barrel once and didn't want anymore than one of those! :)

As an aside, I went to get a box of ammo and found a Ruger 10/22 on sale so I picked it up ($204 at Dunham's). We had fun with it and it shoots great. As soon as we got home, my son yells out (very innocently), Mom we had a great time shooting and dad got a new gun! Got to love those kiddos!

i was reminded what the best part of shooting is tonight: being with the ones you love! {insert little sentimental, teary-eyed smiley here}
    :rockwoot: you got busted! lol Got to love those kids

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I have started my 10 year old son with my ruger 10/22 he also likes shooting my heritage rough rider .22. Last week at the gun shop he fell in love with a camo Remington 597 with a scope. It is now in layaway.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Why wait for the kiddos to grow up to get them their first gun? :dunno: Adopt me ...and lets take a trip the gun store! :D

FWIW, we can bypass the Crickets and head right for the 10/22's ...same with the 410 ...let's see if they have a nice new Mossberg 590a1. :rockwoot: :D:D:D

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    390561_2508207379156_1072217329_32411726_1294717540_n.jpg

My son firing the 308. He's 6, and yes, he put his ears and eyes back on before he fired.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Thats great man, the right age to learn, my son wanted nothing to do with my Sig P228, but give them a 10/22....they will shoot all day.

Those are great times.

Glock_Man_21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Avon
    There is nothing better than a day out shooting with my boys they are 12,8,6. Plus gives us something to do when there girls go out shopping or have their day at the salon or spa.

Billy Bob Chubb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Some of my fondest memories are doing the same thing with my dad at about that age. I now have 2 boys of my own who I can't wait to take out when they are older. You mentioned that you went shooting "in the woods". I'm not from Indiana and have no family or friends here with land. With that being the case, I guess I am stuck at ranges right? Are there any public lands that I can go plink around on that you know of or do I really just have to find someone who will let me on their land?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some of my fondest memories are doing the same thing with my dad at about that age. I now have 2 boys of my own who I can't wait to take out when they are older. You mentioned that you went shooting "in the woods". I'm not from Indiana and have no family or friends here with land. With that being the case, I guess I am stuck at ranges right? Are there any public lands that I can go plink around on that you know of or do I really just have to find someone who will let me on their land?

You might wnt to say where you are.

Top Bottom