Shooting with my son for the first time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Today, the planets aligned enough to allow me the opportunity to take my 7 year old son shooting for the first time. We loaded up the car with my AR and my .22LR rifle and headed out to a friend's place in Mooresville. I couldn't really tell if he was super excited or not, so I just assumed he was.

hvFfiWx.jpg

Anyway, I loaded it up and proceeded to let him shoot. I think he did pretty well. I could really see the interest opening up with that first magazine unload.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-CJu52dz0[/ame]

The first round of "kills."

A0ZMepe.jpg

He shot about 20 rounds out of the .22 before he pointed at the AR and said, "Daddy, I want to shoot that one next." I looked at him with a bit of skepticism and agreed. I put one round in the magazine and let him shoot it. A 5.56 consuming monster was born.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQpdiEeN98[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkYcKjpq7U[/ame]

I then mixed up some Tannerite for him to shoot since he did such a good job with the bigger rifle. We moved back to about 40 yards or so, unsure if any chunks would be flying back at us. I put about six rounds in the mag to give him plenty of shots to take to be able to hit it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SssiwTpK8Jg[/ame]

As you can see, it was unneeded. :rockwoot:

We took the rifle back up to about 20 yards from the target and I let him shoot about eleven rounds at a smaller target. I'm quite pleased as a father with the results of my offspring's abilities. Count the shots and then count the holes. :ar15:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51rQ8NX2IPE[/ame]

I let him shoot a bit more out of the AR before we packed it up. Here's the results of his target.

ecFOIoh.jpg

OW8l4Ke.jpg

I can't wait for our next trip to the range. I just have to find more 5.56 for him to chew through. :):

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Very cool! He's off to a great start!

I'm looking forward to being able to do that with my son. :)

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Way to go Dad!!! I'd say you now have a lifetime shooting buddy! Great trigger discipline, form, and recoil recovery. I think you've got a natural shooter there!

Just curious, how long did it take for that smile to fade from his face?

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    I think I heard you!!!!

That is, if you were somewhere south of town near 67. I considered heading down to my uncle's (outside of Martinsville) to shoot some clays, but I was feeling exceptionally lazy today and while sitting at my computer by the open window I could hear shots ringing out not too far away. I admit, it made me jealous, so I'll probably head out tomorrow or Monday.

Great job with your son though. I've been taking my 13 year old nephew out with me since last fall. He's a huge burden on my ammo supply, but it's so hard to say no to a kid.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Way to go Dad!!! I'd say you now have a lifetime shooting buddy! Great trigger discipline, form, and recoil recovery. I think you've got a natural shooter there!

Just curious, how long did it take for that smile to fade from his face?
    Thanks. :D I've been working with him for years on trigger discipline. He's usually better than that where I don't have to remind him, but I think he was just excited in the moment. I will admit, he really surprised me with how well he took to that AR. I think he shoots it better than I do. :xmad: :laugh:

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I think I heard you!!!!

That is, if you were somewhere south of town near 67. I considered heading down to my uncle's (outside of Martinsville) to shoot some clays, but I was feeling exceptionally lazy today and while sitting at my computer by the open window I could hear shots ringing out not too far away. I admit, it made me jealous, so I'll probably head out tomorrow or Monday.

Great job with your son though. I've been taking my 13 year old nephew out with me since last fall. He's a huge burden on my ammo supply, but it's so hard to say no to a kid.
    Was probably me. I was out there with that and the neighbors were outside shooting a shotgun. They stopped me on the way out and asked "What the hell was that boom?" :):

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Very well done! There is nothing like teaching a new shooter, especially your own children.

I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment, and please, don't take offense, I am only saying this as a word of caution.

In the last vid when your son was finished, he said it was empty. Nobody checked if it was clear or if the rifle was on safety. You immediately went to check the target. Please be cautious for both your sakes. God bless and keep him shooting!!!

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Very well done! There is nothing like teaching a new shooter, especially your own children.

I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment, and please, don't take offense, I am only saying this as a word of caution.

In the last vid when your son was finished, he said it was empty. Nobody checked if it was clear or if the rifle was on safety. You immediately went to check the target. Please be cautious for both your sakes. God bless and keep him shooting!!!

I carried the gun with me and checked it as I grabbed it. I know you can't see it in the video.

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    That's great! Always wanted my son to take interest in shooting, hunting, and fishing. He didn't really take to it. Now he is 18. Time flys. Now on the other hand, my 10 year old daughter loves fishing and shooting. Going to take her hunting squirrel this summer. Enjoy it why'll you can. They grow up so fast.

Top Bottom