• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I read somewhere that in Nov I believe they redid the triggers on the m&ps. That could be why the compact trigger was so good.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    To each there own. Don't wish to debate safeties here, but the grip safety on a striker fired weapon is not needed.

Enjoy blowing your junk/leg/butt/foot off when you IBW holster that bad boy, something catches the trigger, and bang. (Remember that I lower my triggers to 4.5lbs.)

Yes I know it's very unlikely. But I work in an ER. I've seen it happen. Seeing it happen even once (and I've seen it more than once) makes you not want to take the risk. :dunno:

But like you said, to each his own.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Enjoy blowing your junk/leg/butt/foot off when you IBW holster that bad boy, something catches the trigger, and bang. (Remember that I lower my triggers to 4.5lbs.)

Yes I know it's very unlikely. But I work in an ER. I've seen it happen. Seeing it happen even once (and I've seen it more than once) makes you not want to take the risk. :dunno:

How many times have you seen it happen where the scenario included a QUALITY holster and safe gun-handling in general?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How many times have you seen it happen where the scenario included a QUALITY holster and safe gun-handling in general?

Well quality is a subjective term. I would guess only once would fit that bill if at all.

Like I said. I know it's rare when you're being smart, and I don't think of you as "unsafe" for choosing to do so. But it's not for me.

Having a well made, easily manipulated safety can't hurt you. For me it doesn't impare the function of the gun, esp on the M&P, so why wouldn't I want that extra layer of safety?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Yeah, I've seen people overdose on Tylenol...doesn't mean I'm going to quit taking it.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've never shot a .45 XD but if I went to war, I would take my .45 M&P without a 2nd thought. I have no trouble with the recoil.

My backup gun for war (and my every day CC) - my .45 XDs

M&P and XD can live together in perfect harmony...even if they have to live with my wife's Glock 19.

Great review. I am considering the M&P but have not shot the full sized XD .45. My everyday CC is also an XDs. I just really like the 45 caliber. :):

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Glad to see this review come around. I've been considering leaving the Glock line for something else after handling a few others. I like the grip angles of the m&p and xd, and sight acquisition. I hope to shoot both tomorrow and make my final decision. Thanks for the review rep inbound.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have now acquired the full size M&P 9mm with a thumb safety, and a 1911 MC Operator. I found out something very surprising. One: The full size M&P 9mm conceals on my body just as well as the XDM Compact. The low bore axis and the slimness of the M&P give you a full sized gun in a tighter package, completely eliminating the need for a compact size IMO. Thus I didn't bother acquring a M&P compact. With the money left over from NOT buying the compact, I was able to upgrade from a Springfield loaded 1911 to the MC Operator. Best decision ever. I have fallen in love with both guns, and they work extremely well together. Also, I did do the "out of battery test" and I found that the M&P does go out of battery easier then the XD. That being said, considering that low bore axis allows me to easily conceal a full sized M&P (which is no small feat for a barely average sized guy like myself) I'm inclined to overlook this very minor drawback.

This also sheds more light for you guys asking why I got the thumb safety version of the M&P. Not only does it make me feel more comfortable with the gun, but it also makes my training congruous. I'd rather train with one sort of safety system rather than two. Since my rifle rocks a manual safety and you can't take the manual safety off of the 1911, it only makes sense to have a thumb safety on the M&P. Add in my discomfort with no external safeties and the fact that the thumb safety in no way impedes the operation of the firearm, and this is a no brainer.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Congrats Aaron!
    I personally don't prefer the safety. So the full size & long don't have the thumb safety. It makes my wife feel more comfortable though, and she occasionally carries the compact. I can live with it, because the function is pretty easy, and because she wears the pants. ;)

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I must say that was a very good write up. Too many times I read comparisons that are already stacked in favor of one or the other. Yours seemed to be neutral and you gave each firearm plus and minus, while stating that you understood some is a matter of opinion of the shooter.
    I own neither XD or M&P (carry a Glock 22 because that is what they issued me over 13 yrs ago). I have considered these guns off and on, your info here helps. Thank you.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I must say that was a very good write up. Too many times I read comparisons that are already stacked in favor of one or the other. Yours seemed to be neutral and you gave each firearm plus and minus, while stating that you understood some is a matter of opinion of the shooter.
    I own neither XD or M&P (carry a Glock 22 because that is what they issued me over 13 yrs ago). I have considered these guns off and on, your info here helps. Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words. I truly believe that, due to the minor physiological differences in each person and variations in brain chemistry, different guns fit different folks' bodies and preferences. Some people get all tied up in what they trained with, what they're used to, or what fits them best and cant see past their own situation. Thus the blow hards all claiming their gun is "the best gun" I can only report on what I see and experience, and I try to be logical and pragmatic about it.

I reccommend that people pick a decent platform to start off with (be it M&P, XD, Glock, 1911, beretta, etc) and learn to fight with it thoroughly. THEN decide if you want to switch platforms and make the decision based upon what you like/need in a gun. It sounds like you learned to fight with a glock, so you have the first step done. Now you just need to shoot them both and find out what you like. :)

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Update:

Blueboxer and I range tested my new M&P 9mm and the 1911 MC Operator. The M&P felt sooo good in hand and honestly shot very well for having such a heavy stock trigger. I believe S&W has upgraded their triggers recently, because the factory trigger on mine was way better than the trigger my uncle had back when M&Ps first came out. It's still getting replaced though. Haha. The Operator performed better than advertized. Super, super easy to hit with, casings ejected 4 o clock every time, and it ate whatever I fed it. Truly this new pistol combination rocks!!!!!

Top Bottom