• ...and so much more!
  • Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have a craftsman shop vac from one of the big box stores. The filter is always coming loose and falling off into the bottom. This happened one too many times and toasted the motor.

What vacs have you had good luck with? Nothing fancy is needed, I use an Oneida Dust Deputy when I am cutting/routing wood, or sanding auto paint.

My requirements are longevity and filters that are easily procured.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Lowes and Amazon still sell shop vac brand. Home depot does not. That's who I would recommend also. I have had good luck with the plastic ones over the years. The metal canister ones I have always had a hard time with the motor sealing to the canister and blowing dust out everywhere.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Bought a small Stanley to use for a couple of room renovations. Stainless steel can and good suction.
    Still not as good as those old true shop vacs from years back.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I second the Ridgid vac mines over 10 years old, was used in a commercial construction business for 5 of those years. Was only retired to home use after tumbling off a roof and breaking a wheel.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have an older Stihl SE100 ( that model no longer available ) that I have had for about 12 years and "stihl " runs like new .......
    Super quiet and can suck up drywall dust all day long without slowing down .
    I can`t imagine the newer ones not performing the same ( mine is similar to the SE 122 today ) .......Pricey but worth it IMHO . Cry once .........

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have a craftsman one I've been using for 15 years now without issue and it sees a fair amount of usage.

Have seen shop vac brand at Meijer as well as other already mentioned locations

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I think all the consumer value priced models are about the same. I would go for a plastic tub and see how the filters are held in place. some are just friction and hope, some have a stud that with a nut holds the filter on tight. Also look for amp rating. The db sound rating doesn't mean much as they will get louder after use.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I bought a Black Friday special 15+ years ago and it's still going strong (filters can be found on Amazon).

I picked up a 2nd BF special from Menards a year ago with a whisper quiet motor and its still going just fine.

To @Ingomike's point, they are all cheap junk. Buy one that gets the job done and if it lasts, great...

Edited to add - I have a third one (again, BF special). It's a 2.5 gallon. I tossed the filters out years ago, as I kept it in my dock box. Now that in sold my boat, it's nice to have one dedicated to wet/yucky stuff only.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Shop Vac more or less went out of business in 2020, and then some chinese company purchased them. I just have older ones that work great (for many years) but would be skeptical with the new ones.

Ron

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I bought a Black Friday special 15+ years ago and it's still going strong (filters can be found on Amazon).

I picked up a 2nd BF special from Menards a year ago with a whisper quiet motor and its still going just fine.

To @Ingomike's point, they are all cheap junk. Buy one that gets the job done and if it lasts, great...
    Right! The fact is nothing sold today, that looks like what you have had for ten years, is made in anyway like the old one. Talk to a vacuum repair guy, a vacuum made like they did in 80’s costs at least $700 and likely more. They tell me that in mainstream vacuums the rotor is set right in the plastic, no bearings at all, the plastic is the bearing. That is a big read they scream when they go bad…

Top Bottom