• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I'm not seeing a lot of threaded barrels on .22 pistols at LGS. Should I just get one threaded when I buy a suppressor or is having a factory threaded barrel the way to go?

Most LGS will have limited threaded barrels. Find one on Gallery of Guns, or another distribution site and have it sent to your LGS. I bought the Tactical Solutions Pac-lite Upper at my LGS. They have a decent turnover of TacSol items. Elmores in Greenwood frequently has them.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No love for the M&P .22?! I think it has a better track record than the GSG thus far, but they may be a little new for the comparison. I love mine, and love the fact that it works and feels the same as my other plastic guns....good trainer.

4B87E4E1-2E5A-44C7-A287-A1F25271CE78-14234-0000135E880925A3_zpsf7c25046.jpg

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a GSG 1911, a Sig Mosquito, and a Ruger MKII (that I had threaded). All work superbly with a suppressor (using a buddy's Huntertown Guardian 22).

Not to disagree with my fellow INGOers, but I'm not sure why anyone would be recommending that OP buy a Ruger MKIII (about $280 online) and then a Pac-Lite upper (which is itself another $250).

Why not just suggest a Ruger 22/45 Lite? They are already threaded and run about $350 out the door? :dunno:

Honestly, I'm kind of regretting not doing that myself, instead of having my trusty old MKII threaded. Granted, I only spent $75 to have it threaded, but still...

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    No love for the M&P .22?! I think it has a better track record than the GSG thus far, but they may be a little new for the comparison. I love mine, and love the fact that it works and feels the same as my other plastic guns....good trainer.

4B87E4E1-2E5A-44C7-A287-A1F25271CE78-14234-0000135E880925A3_zpsf7c25046.jpg

Do those break down the same as the 45 M&P? If so that's my next purchase.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I want my .22 pistol to put a bullet in a squirrels head at 25 yards.
    IMHO fun guns have crappy triggers and sights and don't offer the confidence to do that work on first shot.
    I'm thinking a Tac Sol bbl on a Target Buckmark to be about right.

Last edited:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Do those break down the same as the 45 M&P? If so that's my next purchase.

Not exactly, the 22 is a fixed barrel style set up. As a shooter though its the most reliable .22 I've used (over 600 rds thus far with no malfunctions) with only one half a** cleaning.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I want my .22 pistol to put a bullet in a squirrels head at 25 yards.
    IMHO fun guns have crappy triggers and sights and don't offer the confidence to do that work on first shot.

Not yet legal for hunting so you must be talking about a tree rat target.

Accuracy and semi auto's with a can to shoot a tree rat at 25 yards is very possible. Remember with semi auto's that you still want to run sub sonic ammo, about 1050-1080 FPS or lower. That also keeps the bullet from cracking the whip twice in a shot. Going over and under the sound barrier.In theroy this should help accuracy alone. Some semi's only want to run well with high vel ammo, others like the softer stuff. Ruger's have the advantage as you can get aftermarket triggers for them when you start to shoot good enough to tell the difference. You are right as most new factory triggers stink.

The threading most be concertric with the barrel. Leave that to a very good machinist or gunsmith with experance.

Now the most accurate setup might be a T/C contender pistol with a can. Break action so no sound escapes in the cycling of the action. You can get any lenght barrel you want. The triggers on the gen 1 is about as good as they come, crisp light break. Add a scope up to about 6 power and you can do 50 yards in a tree rats head. It should be the most silent of the actions.

P.S. Many times in the movies you can see the guy manually cycling the action of an auto with a can. That can be a mod also.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a GSG 1911, a Sig Mosquito, and a Ruger MKII (that I had threaded). All work superbly with a suppressor (using a buddy's Huntertown Guardian 22).

Not to disagree with my fellow INGOers, but I'm not sure why anyone would be recommending that OP buy a Ruger MKIII (about $280 online) and then a Pac-Lite upper (which is itself another $250).

Why not just suggest a Ruger 22/45 Lite? They are already threaded and run about $350 out the door? :dunno:

Honestly, I'm kind of regretting not doing that myself, instead of having my trusty old MKII threaded. Granted, I only spent $75 to have it threaded, but still...

You got a lead on that? What I'm seeing is around $50-$75 higher than that around here.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I would go ruger over the sig. I have had both, and hated the sig. Always had feeding issues. Only thing that "worked" right in it was stingers. I have a Walther p22 with a threaded barrel. It is one of the best 22 pistols I have had. Never had any issues with it.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    .22 pistol

The Sigs are made by GSG for Sig. They are not really sigs. The GSG 1911 is a quality piece. But the triggers are not as crisp as the Rugers.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a Ruger MK III 22/45 that Corey @ SSNFA threaded the barrel on (I bought it about a week before the threaded barrel versions came out). I also have a GSG 1911 . Both have been very reliable and great suppressor hosts. I think I've had about 3-4 FTF's out of the Ruger and about twice that many out of the GSG. Every failure I've had with them was in the first 500 rounds. Ruger probably has easily have 4,000 rounds through it and I've put about 1,500 through the GSG.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You got a lead on that? What I'm seeing is around $50-$75 higher than that around here.

They are out there. There are couple on GunsAmerica right now for $350. Granted, you have to pay shipping and a transfer fee, but then you have to pay shipping on that Pac-lite anyway, as well as the MKIII (plus transfer) if you aren't getting it local.

I'm not sure if their prices are going crazy like everything else, so maybe my info is out of date by a few weeks. I could have sworn I saw one at Bradis a couple weeks ago, but I can't remember how much they had on it.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    Well I decided that I would go with a 22/45 lite. So far I have not been able to find one. Primer arms had noting, same with C & C in Clermont and Beech Grove firearms. I guess the buying frenzy is not just for AK & ARs

Top Bottom