• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have given up carrying small pistols and now carry a glock 22 owb in a bladetech total eclipse on my side. I can sit, stand, walk, run, and buy properly fitting pants for the times when I'm not carrying. My pistol is completely concealed in a t shirt and jeans. I've never carried on my back, doubt I will, but I've always wondered how comfortable it is to sit in a restaurant or in a car with it back there? My draw gets to feeling awkward the further back I slide my holster so it always ends up just behind my front pant pocket which also conceals the grip print that comes with a full size doublestack pistol.

Mr2sday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Due to my job and being in and out of homeowners residences I have to carry completely concealed so IWB is a must. I either carry a Shield 9mm or an XDS .45. Both conceal 100% I personally use a leather backed Kydex holster I buy on Amazon. They are very high qulaity have great retention and use metal belt clips. Search for Ace-1 holster.

I am ex law enforcement and own an Executive Protection company. I will tell you this when it comes to carrying any firearm. Carry it only where you can get to it easily and quickly. the benefits to carrying between 3 and 4 o'clock are its easy to reach for...you can draw with one hand...and with a good holster you can move freely and bend over as well as get in and out of a car without injuring yourself. Appendix carry is great and very quick but not comfortable for most...especially if you have a beer belly. I also am not a fan of carrying in the small of my back unless I am on duty and wearing it as a back up. It is not as easy to get to and takes a lot of practice to draw it safely and quickly. And much like others stated if you were caught off guard and knocked on your ass and you fall directly on it it can definitely cause spinal issues. Find any officer who has sat in his car against a set of cuffs or other item on his belt for years and ask about his/her sciatic nerve issues.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    To get started without spending a ton check out LAG tactical for kydex, they have a few great options. If you want to go all out and get the best I suggest Milt Sparks. Good luck and I hope you find what works best for you.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Check out Contact!Concealment. The owner lives in Indiana, and stands behind his products. I have two of his holsters. He makes them of kydex, IWB, OWB.

Contact!Concealment.com

Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    If you carry small of the back, you run a greater chance of falling on your back and wrecking your spine than you do needing your pistol. Especially with winter coming up. I don't know about you, but I've slipped and fallen on the ice, and that hurts enough without a pistol wracking your spine too.

I use Kramer holsters myself.

Custom Gun Leather & Gun Holsters from Kramer Handgun Leather

Didn't even think about that, thanks for the tip.

Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    I personally have been doing appendix for about 6 years or so. It's not for everyone though 4:00 is also good. Holster companies are pretty good though no matter the method, if they make a good product they make a good product for the most part.

I personally really like Dale Fricke and Trex Arms. Henry, NSR, GCode and a few others seem to be pretty good as well. You can check them all out and see if there is anything that seems up your alley. I prefer loops over clips for attaching to the belt but I have compromised on that with a few holsters I really like. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, get a good gun belt. That is as important as a good holster and maybe more.

So what position would be considered in the back? I would assume 6 o'clock? I was thinking more around 4 or 5 but didn't realize they referred to as anything else. The belt is another thing that I didn't think about. Thank you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So what position would be considered in the back? I would assume 6 o'clock? I was thinking more around 4 or 5 but didn't realize they referred to as anything else. The belt is another thing that I didn't think about. Thank you.

6 O'clock would be considered small of back which is up against your spine. 4-5 o'clock is fine. If you fall, it may hurt, but it would be soft tissue pain. Not the kind of potential pain you could get if you fell on your back and a rather large steel object was poking into your spine.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I like the Wright Leather Works Predator Pancake belt holster or the Galco Concealable belt holsters , I can wear my shield and cover it with a T shirt in the summer and it won't get noticed very easily.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I currently have a subcompact XD 40 in a Red River Tactical kydex holster. I’m on the small side 5”6 130lbs 32” waist and appendix carry is very uncomfortable for me. On the backside seems like I can’t get to it fast enough. 3 o’clock is the spot for me. Since I’m so skinny the side of my hip rubs against the gun and holster.

My next purchase will be alien gears cloak tuck combo. 2 holsters for $60!!! Can’t beat that.

make sure when you get a kydex holster make sure you can turn the gun upside down without the holster losing its grip. That’s how I judge mine

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I currently have a subcompact XD 40 in a Red River Tactical kydex holster. I’m on the small side 5”6 130lbs 32” waist and appendix carry is very uncomfortable for me. On the backside seems like I can’t get to it fast enough. 3 o’clock is the spot for me. Since I’m so skinny the side of my hip rubs against the gun and holster.

My next purchase will be alien gears cloak tuck combo. 2 holsters for $60!!! Can’t beat that.

make sure when you get a kydex holster make sure you can turn the gun upside down without the holster losing its grip. That’s how I judge mine

Some(most) folks have extra cushioning to soften the hard edges of a firearm and/or holster. I am similar to you at 5'11", 177lbs, 32" waist. OWB is the only way for me to carry. I like the 4 o'clock position as it does conceal a little better. You might give it a try there. Your hip might not rub as much.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Some(most) folks have extra cushioning to soften the hard edges of a firearm and/or holster. I am similar to you at 5'11", 177lbs, 32" waist. OWB is the only way for me to carry. I like the 4 o'clock position as it does conceal a little better. You might give it a try there. Your hip might not rub as much.

I’ve only been carrying for 3 years so I’m still finding positions for different events, while I drive, and just walking around the malls and etc...seems like I have a different position for each. Don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    When I bought my first revolver I ordered a IWB from Cardini. I have wore it everyday for a couple of years and no sign of ware. The clip is still good and is very comfortable.

Top Bottom