• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I have been reading some suggestions around and am looking for more advice, please. I am shopping for a new bolt gun, read not a Mosin, and plan to spend ~$600 for both the scope and rifle. I was looking at a Savage or Ruger American Rifle to fit the bill but have not shot either. I was thinking .223 because 300 yards is the longest range around and most of the time it would be a 100 yard gun. Plan on shooting at a bench or prone most of the time. Looking at a 3-9x40 scope in the $300 price range as well. It seems Nikon and Bushnell had good offerings at that price point. I know this leaves me wide open, but any suggestions?

This is being funded by selling off a few of my cheaper guns that I don't shoot that includes a Mosin. A Remington 700 would be pretty sweet but no way I can justify the expense with my wife right now. I have to be able to find a bolt gun that is more accurate than a Mosin and a round that is a bit easier on me than 7.62x54R.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can get a Howa 1500 for roughly that. It uses a Weatherby action. It wears a Hogue soft grip stock, and has a Nighteater scope(?)

I have one in .204 Ruger and it is a tack-driver. I think it would fit your bill nicely. $619 as a rifle/scope package.

Available now through Davison's Gallery of Guns, which carries a lifetime warranty.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .223 is a good choice if all you do is punch paper.

$300 for a budget scope is a good number, becuase it gets you into a price range where there are some pretty decent scopes. Speaking for myself, in that price range I would look at Burris Fullfield II. Nikon would also get a look. I had a bad experience with a low-end Bushnell. don't know if their $300 scopes are better or not.

The only scope I would consider in the range under $300 that is a Redfield 3-9x40 for $150-ish.

For $600 total that doesn't leave you much room for a rifle... If you can get to $450-$500 for the rifle you can get into a Savage 11. For a $400 budget I would hands down go with the Marlin XS7 or a Stevens 200. For $300, I would save another $100 and get a better rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For a 3-9x40 priced at 300 dollars there is no better scope on the market than the Vortex viper 3-9x40. Ive used the Burris, nikon, and sightron offerings in that price range, and plain and simple the Vortex wins hands down. It has the exact same glass as the PST line that gets some of the best reviews in the optics industry.

Just based on quality the Vortex is a no brainer, then you add in their warranty as icing on the cake.

Dont forget to leave room in the budget for quality rings and base's

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    For a 3-9x40 priced at 300 dollars there is no better scope on the market than the Vortex viper 3-9x40. Ive used the Burris, nikon, and sightron offerings in that price range, and plain and simple the Vortex wins hands down. It has the exact same glass as the PST line that gets some of the best reviews in the optics industry.

Just based on quality the Vortex is a no brainer, then you add in their warranty as icing on the cake.

Dont forget to leave room in the budget for quality rings and base's

That is an awesome suggestion for the optics and I appreciate the advise. I had heard of that Vortex scope as well but forgot to list it. Care to spread some knowledge on rings and bases? All my rifles to this point have been iron sights. I love the tech sights on my 10/22, but I want to see the lil holes in the paper hehe. I could fork out some more cash of course for a proper quality ring and base set.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That is an awesome suggestion for the optics and I appreciate the advise. I had heard of that Vortex scope as well but forgot to list it. Care to spread some knowledge on rings and bases? All my rifles to this point have been iron sights. I love the tech sights on my 10/22, but I want to see the lil holes in the paper hehe. I could fork out some more cash of course for a proper quality ring and base set.

Base will depend on the rifle you get. For your purpose I would get a picatinny rail, and I would not get a canted base.

On the rings Burris xtr, or warne maxima both make quality products for the price. Alot of folks assume a 10 dollar set of walmart rings are just as good as any other rings, and thats very far from being true. Look at it this way, everything that makes a rifle accurate is protected by steel, or wood. Everything that makes a scope accurate is protected by aluminum. A scopes rings and bases are just hanging out there by themselves.

Usually I have egw base's for any rifle in stock. They run about 40 bucks depending on what one you get. There are definitely higher quality bases on the market, but most users will find that EGW does everything they need it to.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just get you a Savage Axis in 223, very nice rifle if your looking to punch paper on a budget. Along with the scope mentioned by Vette I think youd have a real nice little package.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I just picked up a CZ 527. I love it. Light & easy to carry; 223; great trigger - standard or set; synthetic stock is not hollow, it has the heft & balance of wood. It's currently sporting a take-off scope but considering what to replace it with.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Pick up a 700 SPS sporter package rifle at Walmart. $420 with a cheap scope.

One could make money parting them out at that price.

Wowza, I didn't know Walmart carried 700's. I did a quick Yahoo and Google search for the "Sporter" and did not see anything. Is it the ADL version? No prices online either. Will definitely have to check that out.

Top Bottom