• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm looking for a new crossbow for this season. I have a Horton Fury but want something different.

I currently have it narrowed down to a few different choices. If there is one that you recommend and I don't have listed, please tell me what it is and why.

My choices I have picked out so far are:
    1. Excalibur Matrix 380
    2. Barnett Ghost 410
    3. Barnett Buck Commander Extreme
    4. Barnett Vengeance

I really like the ease of the Matrix but I'm kind of hesitant about the draw weight (260lbs) but people say it feels around 200lbs. I also have breathing problems and that makes it difficult to bend over and draw the crossbow.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    I have 3, a Carbon Express Covert CX2, A Horton Vision 175, and a Barnett Predator.----- My fav is probably the Horton,(the new version is called the Fury).... because of the lighter weight, and compact size, great for blind hunting, and it shoots very hard. I bought the mechanical cocker, but don't use it. The Barnett is simply a beast, and an absolute canon. --- the CX2, is very similar to the Barnett, hard hitting, but heavy. If you use the string cocker that comes with these bows, you should be able to cock them easily. They give you a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage, so if you can pick up 75 lbs. to your belly button from the floor, and hold it for 2 / 3 seconds, you will have no problem cocking any of these bows. --- Do not dry fire any crossbows, it tends to destroy them ---- better to sacrifice an arrow than a $600 bow, or purchase some of the "dummy arrows" made specifically for unloading a crossbow. ---Careful with your thumb and fingers when shooting!!!

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Of YOUR choices I would take the Excalibur. It will be a bear to cock though.

If I was you I'd do a little more shopping around looking at other brands..

Find a place where they will let you shoot them and then let the crossbow pick you.

Good luck

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I like the Excalibur and wish I could cock it but I don't think I can.

I shot the Mathews Mission 360 and Stryker 380 yesterday. Headed to shoot a couple Barnetts and maybe a Carbon Express this afternoon.

Anybody heard of the Stryker letting the bow fire with the arrow 1/4" off the string? I guess its just like dry firing it.

Top Bottom