Shopping for first 1911, need a recommendation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • treanor21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Lafayette
    So I'm finally getting a 1911. I would like the idea spend under $800. I'm not sure if I want full size or commander. Maybe someone could give me a recommendation and why?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    First 1911 get a full size to get used to them. Stick to .45acp.
    I like the Kimber Custom II for a little over $700. Nice well made guns I have 2 now. My first II has over 6K rounds through it. Not even a hickup!
    The new one I got just 'fore Christmas has 400 rds now. Both are tack driving SOBs.
    I have a few more but none of them shoot as tight as the Kimbers.
    I like Springfield in the price range too.
    I'd still stick with full size.
    With a good belt and holster they are comfortable to carry too. Small profile covered.

treanor21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Lafayette
    First 1911 get a full size to get used to them. Stick to .45acp.
    I like the Kimber Custom II for a little over $700. Nice well made guns I have 2 now. My first II has over 6K rounds through it. Not even a hickup!
    The new one I got just 'fore Christmas has 400 rds now. Both are tack driving SOBs.
    I have a few more but none of them shoot as tight as the Kimbers.
    I like Springfield in the price range too.
    I'd still stick with full size.
    With a good belt and holster they are comfortable to carry too. Small profile covered.

Definitely sticking to 45 ACP. Thanks for the advice. The Kimbers sure do look nice. I'm also considering the SR1911.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    SR1911 or a remington R1. I have an R1 (have not even seen it in person yet), but from pretty much everything I have seen, they are right up there with the kimber and VERY reasonable price wise.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Any 1911 is going to be a good start - you can always replace broken parts and/or upgrade parts if needed. Even if you don't start with a Wilson Combat 1911 (they start at like $2.5k new) you can get Wilson Combat parts and fit them to the gun - such as their "BulletProof" slide release, firing pin, extractor, etc.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just went all out for my first 1911. Go with the best, then deal with the rest later.

Got a Colt 1911 Anniversary edition
    I almost went "all-out", I wanted a WC SuperGrade but went with an off-the-shelf X-Tac instead :). Decided to put the difference in funds into reloading equipment.

willie53

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    I picked up a Sub ATI 1911, shoots pretty well, no issues, $ 450.
    Rock Island, are good shooters
    and I have 3 PT 1911 by Taurus, they run a tight race for the up-front cost. But ready to clean my owner Kimber too. Good luck

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You're kind of in that teeter totter price range where you will be dropping $800 on a good gun, but a couple hundred more will put you into something really nice. I usually recommend going used when faced with your question and price range. $800 can put you into a gun that retailed for $1100 to $1300 dollars if you do some shopping around.

Otherwise, I've heard great things about the Springfield Range Officer which was built specifically for shoppers in your situation. It'll put you into a nice 1911 without any of the fancy stuff, which can be added on in the future as your budget allows. Look that one up, might be right for you. Or, just dive into a nice used 1911 as I suggested above.

Good luck!

Top Bottom