• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJRatcliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Kokomo, IN
    Hello everyone, my name is Chris. I'm from Kokomo and I'm 21 years old and I think its time to purchase my first handgun. I am looking for any suggestions on what kind of gun i should get. I am interested in a gun for target shooting and personal protection. Does anyone have any suggestions. I really like the Walther P99 in 9mm, but they are just a bit expensive.

Thanks for your help,
    Chris Ratcliff

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    :welcome: to :ingo:
    I would get a revolver, easy to operate and little maintenance is need, they are super easy to clean.
    Make sure to get your LTCH because you need it to transport your handgun to the range, legally.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hello, Welcome to the world of pistols, I have a Smith SW99 in 40 and have had it for years, I enjoy shooting it and it is accurate reliable and fits well in my hand, I have several firearms and been doing this for sometime as many people on the board, I bought a S&W M&P 40 and have been really really impressed with that firearm, while it is bigger and a bit harder to conceal than the sw99 I find it every bit as accurate and reliable, if you don't have any handguns I would suggest look at a 22 autopistol it will build your skills cheaper and faster than a center fire.

Hope this helps

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Revolvers are great fun, low maintenance, and easy to operate.

That being said, my first handgun was a Taurus PT92, an automatic. Caliber power issues aside, 17+1 rounds of 9mm is 3 times the typical revolver capacity and then some, with only minor further complications in the maintenance department.

So, shoot a few different ones, and buy what you are most comfortable with :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A few suggestions:

• Research different models online to see what features fit your needs best. This will also give you an idea of pricing when the time to buy comes. This thread is a good example of this phase.
    • Visit the local gun store or gun show. Touch, feel, hold all different kinds of handguns.
    • Go shooting with someone who will let you try out their various handguns. Generally this can be accomplished with a simple "Who would like to join me at the range?" thread here on INGO. (tip: list your location, and buy your own ammo)
    • Compare what you learned online to what you experienced in real life.
    • Decide on right gun for you.
    • Start looking for a deal on that gun. This could be found at the local gun store, gun show, online gunstore or auction, or right here on INGO (once you reach your 50 quality posts ;)).
    Good luck!

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No matter the price set your mind on what you want and go for it. Most gun shops offer some sort of layaway which I use quite frequently.:rockwoot:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A few suggestions:

:+1:On esrice's info.

Do not rush into a purchase. Hand fit/style/features/price are very personal decision points. You will get lots of suggestions from others (that amazingly enough usually fit their preferences), but may or may not work for you. Learn about the different kinds of guns, get some hands-on, and you will be in a much better position to lay out hundreds of dollars on the right firearm..

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Here is a review for you to look at.
    Hi-Point Firearms

The pistols they review are the JHP .45 and the JCP .40 , but the C-9 is a nice weapon as well, and can be purchased new for $150 and it comes with a Lifetime warranty! I own the JHP .45 and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Hi Point is a great entry level gun!

Let the flaming begin.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Take the NRA Basic Handgun course. In that course you get to shoot a wide variety of handguns along with learning the basics and SAFETY. Don't rush into a purchase. Rent various types at the range and try them out. What you think you may like (via an image) you may find out does not "feel right" in your hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I recommend a snub nose revolver. It's what I had and still have. They're reliable and fun too shoot. If you get one get it in 357 so you can plink with 38 specials but keep 357 hollow points in it for protection. Warning though you will want to practice with some 357s though because they do kick and flash way more than 38 specials.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Depends on what your budget is, and if you are looking for a revolver or pistol. If you are looking for a revolver. I suggest something with a 4" barrel, in a .357 magnum. That way you can also fire, the smaller .38 specials. If you are going to carry, I would recommend a .38 snub nose. They are lite, and easy to conceal. In my opinion Taurus, is about the best bang for the buck. I do not know how familiar you are with handguns. A revolver is double action only, unless you cock the hammer before each shot. Double action only, means the trigger is used to cock the hammer then releases it. So no worries about manual safeties, because double action only will have a heavier trigger pull. There are less moving parts, but you do sacrifice capacity.

If you are looking for a pistol, do you want all steel or polymer frame? Do you want a manual safety, striker fired, or a hammer? If you want an all steel, i would recommend a CZ, or Beretta. They can both be had for a decent price. Or possibly a 1911/9mm 1911 style pistol. If you are looking for something in a polymer frame, with trigger safety then Glock, m&p, and FN are good choices. If you do not mind a grip safety, along with the trigger safety then an Xd/Xdm. If you are just going to be using it for home defense, then a 4" barrel or bigger. You can conceal a full size pistol easily with the right holster. Or if it's too big for you to carry comfortably, then I would recommend a compact/sub compact. My 2 cence.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    A revolver is double action only, unless you cock the hammer before each shot. Double action only, means the trigger is used to cock the hammer then releases it. So no worries about manual safeties, because double action only will have a heavier trigger pull.

Not all revolvers are DAO. :dunno:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    my recommendation is to get w/e strikes you as completely bad ***, fits in your hands, and whos cost doesnt put you out in the street. go to a shop and fondle them like you would a potential gf if you wouldnt get arrested.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Ever fire one?

Yes, the weight distribution threw me way off, the finish was less than acceptable, it did hit where the sights were pointed, but I'm sorry to hurt your feelings but I don't consider the high point even in the running for any pistol I would buy,

As to the other comment about the first firearm being a snub nose, not that I think a revolver is a bad choice a good 4 inch would be a great choice but I think the challenges that a snubby puts forth would be too hard on a beginning shooter,

I still say a good 22 rimfire is the way to start, you get practice, don't form any flinch, you can afford to shoot it everyday

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Yes, the weight distribution threw me way off, the finish was less than acceptable, it did hit where the sights were pointed, but I'm sorry to hurt your feelings but I don't consider the high point even in the running for any pistol I would buy,
    You didn't hurt my feelings at all, and I don't mind that you don't care to own the Hi Point. I do agree that they are not the best choice for everyone, but some people bash them without ever having fired one.I Have only ever fired 5 or 6 other pistols, but of the ones I have fired, I like my Hi Point best. So I recommend that first time gun buyers check them out. One of my buddies has a fairly new S&W .38 and a Browning Hi Power 9mm, and after firing my Hi Point .45, went out and bought one just like mine :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    As others have said, I think you should do alot of hands on window shopping before makeing any decisions.
    I had a good idea of what I wanted from 3 years of this window shopping between ages 18 and 21.
    When I took my girl freind to find one for her, we made numerous trips to several gun stores and finally found hers at the 2nd gun show we went to looking.
    My opinion is see what feels right in your hand.

Top Bottom