• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sears has filed for bankruptcy and there is some question about whether their appliance lifetime warranties will be honored. I also read that after they filed Whirlpool demanded Sears return all the Whirlpool inventory Sears had taken delivery on in the 45 days preceding the bankruptcy filing.

That's too bad, I grew up with Sears, but it appears would be wise to stay away from them now. :(

Ours had the one year warranty and we didn't buy an extended one. I'm sorry to see them closing but can't really say I'm surprised. The Sears stores in our area are never busy.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm also looking to get a new dishwasher, oven, and maybe a fridge. Are finger prints a pain in the butt on the stainless steel models? I do have a couple of small kids :)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm also looking to get a new dishwasher, oven, and maybe a fridge. Are finger prints a pain in the butt on the stainless steel models? I do have a couple of small kids :)

I like the stainless but I'm not sure how it would hold up with small kids. It is just the two of us here, and I am careful not to grab the door instead of the handle, etc. to keep the prints to a minimum. The stainless steel cleaning wipes work well to clean it but I feel like it would not be as easy to keep clean with kids in the picture. I don't put any magnets on the door either since they will scratch the finish.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 71471

A normal side by side has more room than the drawer models. The drawer mounting takes so much room away from the refrigerator, and that 2 drawer model isn't going to have any room. Take a close look at it in the store and imagine the room you're giving up to have a certain look. The stove is good. You can still cook in a power outage, and take a hot shower with a gas water heater. I hate the new style washers. It takes forever to do a load of laundry. Tic the right buttons and it could wash for 2 1/2 hours. This is a picture of what the house came with. We now have a normal stainless side by side and a top load washer. Choose function over looks. You have to use these every day. After all, they're just appliances.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    View attachment 71471

A normal side by side has more room than the drawer models. The drawer mounting takes so much room away from the refrigerator, and that 2 drawer model isn't going to have any room. Take a close look at it in the store and imagine the room you're giving up to have a certain look. The stove is good. You can still cook in a power outage, and take a hot shower with a gas water heater. I hate the new style washers. It takes forever to do a load of laundry. Tic the right buttons and it could wash for 2 1/2 hours. This is a picture of what the house came with. We now have a normal stainless side by side and a top load washer. Choose function over looks. You have to use these every day. After all, they're just appliances.

I'll definitely look at them before i buy them, i figured the middle drawer just replaced the lower drawers in normal fridges so it wouldn't take any extra room, and would let you open them without losing all the cold air in the fridge. I will have a second fridge in my garage to store soft drinks, beer, extra milk, and food that might not fit in this fridge, but I expect it to be plenty big for me and my son.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the stainless but I'm not sure how it would hold up with small kids. It is just the two of us here, and I am careful not to grab the door instead of the handle, etc. to keep the prints to a minimum. The stainless steel cleaning wipes work well to clean it but I feel like it would not be as easy to keep clean with kids in the picture. I don't put any magnets on the door either since they will scratch the finish.

The "smudge proof" stuff from Frigidaire is pretty good. But, it doesn't quite match traditional stainless steel in appearance.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    RE: smudges and stainless steel.

A) not all stainless steel is created equal. B) there are various "non smudging" finishes on some maker's appliances. C) the dark gray slate colored stuff is a nice option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Stay away from Samsung and LG kitchen appliances. More than 1 salesman we talked to said that those 2 brands make up most of their returns by far.

A year or so later... is this the case?

There's Samsung fridge that looks pretty good and advertises a 10 year compressor warranty.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

There's Samsung fridge that looks pretty good and advertises a 10 year compressor warranty.

*If* you have to do a repair on a Samsung fridge, it will likely be the ice maker. Their compressors dont fail. Thats why they warranty them for 10 years. Do a Google search for Samsung ice maker repairs. Oh, and replacing it will likely cost you around $300-500.

I haven't seen any issues with LG.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    *If* you have to do a repair on a Samsung fridge, it will likely be the ice maker. Their compressors dont fail. Thats why they warranty them for 10 years. Do a Google search for Samsung ice maker repairs. Oh, and replacing it will likely cost you around $300-500.

I haven't seen any issues with LG.

I want a french door model with the ice maker in the bottom - where God intended it. It's just plain unnatural to try and make ice in the fridge section.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth, we had an LG fridge, washer, dryer, & microwave in the old house, all were 12 years old and still going. Fridge had the ice maker tray changed under warranty and I replaced a hall sensor in the washer around year two or three.

Current house has a bunch of Whirlpool Gold appliances that are 7 years old. Don't know how the other owners treated them but the microwave door handle is held on by only one screw, the ovens take forever to heat up and one side of the fridge practically needs to be slammed to close properly. Dishwasher also didn't wash very well and has been replaced.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I personally don't know. Haven't had to shop for anything in several years. Thankfully.

I wish Bosch made more than dishwashers, though. If/when we need a new one of those, Bosch it is.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I personally don't know. Haven't had to shop for anything in several years. Thankfully.

I wish Bosch made more than dishwashers, though. If/when we need a new one of those, Bosch it is.
    That is what we have now. My only complaint is that plastic things don't dry very well unless you open the door after the cycle. Supposedly the new ones do this automatically.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That is what we have now. My only complaint is that plastic things don't dry very well unless you open the door after the cycle. Supposedly the new ones do this automatically.

We never us the drying cycle just to save energy. If we get to it, we'll open the door and let things air dry. Other than that, we have a drying rack and a drying mat for stuff. A few hours sitting out and everything's dry. Bottom rack stuff is dry enough to put away immediately.

Top Bottom