Short Barreled Shotgun with rifled barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Shoulder fired and capable of firing a fixed shotgun shell makes it a shotgun by definition, virgin receiver or not, rifled barrel or not.
    A rifled barrel would not make it an SBR because of the bore diameter being >.50.

To answer the OP's specific question, with a rifled barrel, it is still a shotgun...

so i couldn't SBR a .600 nitro express?

Darn. Now I really want to. :D

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    so let me get this straight, didn't we establish through Indiana law that if you have a shotgun with just a pistol grip on it then it is considered a "handgun" and you need your ltch to carry it?

If this is correct then from the IC mouth a shotgun with a pistol grip should be able to be cut down to whatever length you want because it is a "handgun".

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    so let me get this straight, didn't we establish through Indiana law that if you have a shotgun with just a pistol grip on it then it is considered a "handgun" and you need your ltch to carry it?

If this is correct then from the IC mouth a shotgun with a pistol grip should be able to be cut down to whatever length you want because it is a "handgun".
    Yes, a shotgun with ONLY a pistol grip (that has never had a stock installed) because it legally isn't a shotgun at all. But I think we're discussing a stocked rifled barrel shotgun. If it was made from a virgin receiver and is less than .500" then it should qualify as a rifle, and therefore can be made into an SBR, even if it is capable of firing a fixed shotgun shell.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I say this is all pretty moot. How about we work to change the law so that we can own SBS, but can not hunt with one? I mean, thats the whole reason we can't have them anyways, people poaching animals from a truck window, right?

Top Bottom