• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Found a shot gun in the attic, I have no idea the make or model, its a single shot 12Ga, the only markings I can find are RIVAL. and patent date 1900. its in rough condition. I am looking for an idea of value and repair from first glance the the hammer will not stay in the cocked position. Anyone that can help, please let me know

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    From what you describe, the value is likely well below the cost to repair.

Nobody can give you an accurate value without good, clear photos of the gun and all of the markings on it.

But even new single-shot 12 gauge shotguns are worth <$200, so you're probably going to be something like $20 as a wall decoration.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Found a shot gun in the attic, I have no idea the make or model, its a single shot 12Ga, the only markings I can find are RIVAL. and patent date 1900. its in rough condition. I am looking for an idea of value and repair from first glance the the hammer will not stay in the cocked position. Anyone that can help, please let me know
    Quick googling.

Shotgunworld.com ? Crescent Rival American Plain

Both guns RIVAL and VICTOR PLAIN AMERICAN GUN CO (to give the full name of each) are what is known as "Trade Brand Name" shotguns. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent seller who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name Rival were made by several makers including Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1930),W.H. Davenport Arms Company also of Norwich, Ct (1878 to 1910) and Hopkins & Allen , again located in Norwich, CT (1868 to 1915) as well as some imported. These gun were sold by the Van Camp Iron & Hardware Company of Indianapolis.IN, a large wholesale sporting ooods dealer. Guns with the name Victor Plain American Gun Company were made by Crescent Fire Arms Company and were sold by H & D Folsom Arms Company, a large wholesale sporting goods dealer and retailer located in New York City. If you can get your uncle to give you the serial numbers (found on the bottom tang just behind the trigger guard) we can tell you the year each gun was made. Neither gun has been made in over eighty years and the only ones for sale are to be found on gun auction sites like Gun Broker or Auction Arms. Bring up the site, go to single barrel shotguns and go through the names listed. The values for these guns will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example (rare) that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might sell for as much as $100 while a rusty metal, rotten wood, missing parts piece of junk might sell for as little as $10. You can bid as little or as much as you wish. By the way both guns are old enough (over 50 years old) to qualify as Curios or Relics.

ETA
    Kinda cool that it might've been sold in Indy. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It may just need to be dismantled, cleaned and lubricated. Even then do not shoot it with modern shot shells.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Found one in grandparents attic too. A double barrel 12 and a set of pin fire barrel assembly.

I pitched the pin fire and think I got like 75 for the double gun after I routered a piece of wood to hang it on.

Sounds like you have a 20 buck hanger. Unless it's something odd. Don't try to shoot it!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sometimes the value of a gun is in the pleasure we get from it.
    This might be a good project gun to play with.
    IF you guys and gals are like me I'm sure you've done some projects that made no sense to no one else other than yourselves.
    AND.... again IF LIKE ME.... probably wish you didn't do it.
    Still fun and sometimes very informative.
    You may run into another of these guns one day and have enough knowledge about them to make an informed decision.
    I like the old stuff personally.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the help and info this is the second one I've come across like this so it will make a nice set , it will look awesome on my wall, Squirt 239 I can send you pictures. or if your close

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    While I would and do not recommend anyone shooting modern cartridges in an old shotgun like this, I will say back in my youth (1950's), I used to use my Uncles Damascus twist barrel single shot 12 gage to hunt. At the time there was no internet and many others I know used the same type shotgun. I used it with 12 gage modern (for the time) cartridges, sometimes with 2 3/4" magnums. Probably shot at least a couple of boxes of shells. Never had any issues nor did I ever hear of anyone else in the area (Northern Indiana) ever having any "explode". For that matter I never heard of anyone using any firearm having one fail like that.

Even today, I have never heard of any "exploding" shotguns, except those that were caused by obstructed barrels or improper handloads. However I do realize almost all people have stopped using the old Damascus twist shotguns as they are deemed unsafe and that information is now readily available on the internet. As I understand the Damascus twist was made using a strip of metal wrapped around a mandrel and hammer welded. When done properly with good steel they are pretty sturdy barrels.

Of course any old firearm can be made from inferior steel and or improperly heat treated as they didn't have either the equipment or methods to determine what the steel contained. However, as far as I know all the older firearms were "proof" tested so are unlikely to fail using loads that they were intended to shoot, and likely to do OK even with modern ammo. I would really like to hear from members here that have any "first hand" information about shotgun failures due to "modern ammo'" only.

I collect a lot of surplus military firearms. Some are over 100 years old, I have "proof tested" a couple (after a full visual inspection), by strapping the gun down to a tire and firing it with a string while staying in a safe location. I have never encountered any damage to the firearm or failures so far. My son and I routinely shoot WW1 and WW2 firearms with modern ammo with no issues.

Top Bottom