• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Complicated since I want there but the whole he shot him in the back thing is dependent on a lot of factors. One more bad guy off the street is awesome with me.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Murderer/cop killer who escaped from a maximum security prison and has been out 3 weeks? Absolutely the right thing to do. If the baddie got away and killed someone? Can't take that chance.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The only downside to this whole story is now the trooper has to clean his gun.

And that people will actually side against the officer. :(

The many officers that spent countless hours in the rain and mud, and finally succeeded in bringing both convicts to justice are heroes in my book. Fortunately, I think this one is clean-cut enough that the media won't have ammo to try and make the officer into the bad guy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It was discussed at length on ARFCOM as well. Fleeing felon does allow the use of deadly force. Pretty good shooting after a foot chase. I'm assuming the heart rate was up and breathing heavy, so betting the officer had to really work on good fundamentals to make those shots.

ETA...as corrected...fleeing felon on its own does not justify the force. Bad choice of words on my part. Edited to add corrected information so someone doesn't take it for truth.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It was discussed at length on ARFCOM as well. Fleeing felon does allow the use of deadly force. Pretty good shooting after a foot chase. I'm assuming the heart rate was up and breathing heavy, so betting the officer had to really work on good fundamentals to make those shots.

Fleeing felon by itself does NOT justify deadly force. Tenn. v. Garner did away with that rule.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Its really difficult to say if this is a good thing. Or not a good thing. Because journalism is dead.

Reading the article, it is proposed that it is legal in the state of NY to kill a fleeing felon when other citizen's lives may be at stake. And that makes sense.

But the article also states that the officer "spotted someone" and said "hey, come over here" and then shot him in the back when he fled.

I'd be far more comfortable if it was reported as "the officer spotted someone who he identified as the escaped felon. The officer called for the escaped felon to stop. When the convicted murderer and escapee did not halt, the officer fired twice at the fleeing convict. This resulted in the murderous scum being incapacitated and captured."

So, when the full story is properly reported... I'll probably be happy. But based on the **** poor recap that was in the link?
    Nope. Not happy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Its really difficult to say if this is a good thing. Or not a good thing. Because journalism is dead.

Reading the article, it is proposed that it is legal in the state of NY to kill a fleeing felon when other citizen's lives may be at stake. And that makes sense.

But the article also states that the officer "spotted someone" and said "hey, come over here" and then shot him in the back when he fled.

I'd be far more comfortable if it was reported as "the officer spotted someone who he identified as the escaped felon. The officer called for the escaped felon to stop. When the convicted murderer and escapee did not halt, the officer fired twice at the fleeing convict. This resulted in the murderous scum being incapacitated and captured."

So, when the full story is properly reported... I'll probably be happy. But based on the **** poor recap that was in the link?
    Nope. Not happy.

That was the version of the story that I read and also heard on the news.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Fleeing felon by itself does NOT justify deadly force. Tenn. v. Garner did away with that rule.

You are correct. An officer may use deadly force on a fleeing felon if that "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others"

I should have stated that more clearly in my first post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The guy was white, shot by a white officer, unless I;m mistaken, Who will protest one less privileged white guy.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A fleeing suspect and a fleeing escaped, convicted, fugitive are two different things.

Yes, and in this case the use of force was almost certainly justified under both the use of force on a felon suspect rule and the use of force on an escapee rule. However, the post I quoted explicitly said:

Fleeing felon does allow the use of deadly force.

That is not a correct statement of the law, as I and the original author agree.

Under IC 35-4-3-3 even escapee does not automatically justify deadly force without reasonable necessity.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, and in this case the use of force was almost certainly justified under both the use of force on a felon suspect rule and the use of force on an escapee rule. However, the post I quoted explicitly said:

That is not a correct statement of the law, as I and the original author agree.

Under IC 35-4-3-3 even escapee does not automatically justify deadly force without reasonable necessity.

I agree with you...hence my reply. Thanks for the correction.

Top Bottom