SHOT LOCATION ON FACTORY TARGETS THAT COME W/NEW GUNS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I'm thinking of buying a new (used) gun. The target and all papers are still in the box and the gun is virtually like new. The target indicates the shot date as sometime in 1983 (can't remember exact date). My question is the shot taken is very low and left of the point of aim. The gun has fixed front and back sights. Should i be concered that the gun will not shoot anywhere near point of aim or is it more likely the factory shooter was nursing a hangover?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The test shot is to prove the gun operates. I've never seen a target come with a gun, but if they were testing accuracy, I doubt thy would release a target that 'proves' their weapon is faulty. What kind of gun is it?

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I wouldn't be concerned at all. One shot simply to test function, not accuracy. Even if they were testing accuracy, you don't know what range they shot at, and they only fired one round, so it's really not representative of how well the sights are regulated.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Well...if you're going to pick a load for the rifle leave it as is and do your load development. Shoot for groups. Then when you decide what you are going to stick with, take a file to it and make it what you want. Filing down the front sight will raise the group. You can use the weight of the bullet you choose and the powder charge as well to move the group up and down.

No telling how much they tried to aim it when shooting...maybe not much at all. What is it?

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    The test shot is to prove the gun operates. I've never seen a target come with a gun, but if they were testing accuracy, I doubt thy would release a target that 'proves' their weapon is faulty. What kind of gun is it?

Makes sense. Its a 1983 Interams PPK/S. I sold a nice one a while back and have been wanting to replace it. Mine was very accurate and reliable and hoping I get lucky again with this one. The fact it appears new is a bonus.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I bought a weatherby 270 magnum back in 93 and it had a 3 shot group target in the box to show the grouping abilities of the gun.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Depends. A couple of my guns came with target because they were sold with a guaranteed accuracy level. As asked before .... what gun and is it one shot or a group?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    My CZ-75BD had a 3 shot group a little high and to the right of the center of the test target. It shoots dead on point of aim for me. Maybe I'm actually shooting low/left too ;)

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I had a Sig that came with a 3 shot group factory test target, the shots were close together and I assumed that it was included to demonstrate that the gun met accuracy and reliability standards.

Top Bottom