Shotgun ammo for home defense, what do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What shotgun ammo do you use for home defense?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I made another thread about home defense shotguns with a poll to know in what condition you keep it (chamber empty or not, safety on or off).
    Thanks to all of you who took that poll. :yesway:

I wanted to make another one to know what ammo you keep in that same home defense shotgun.

This poll is harder to do since I cant list all kind of shotgun ammo but that should just give a general idea of the type of ammo you are using.
    If you have more than one type of ammo in your gun you can select more than one answer.

If you use some special stuff not listed in the poll options you can leave a post to let us know what stuff you use.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

k688

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    00 buck, three shells in the tube and eight on weapon. Should be more than plenty.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    #4 Buckshot.

We all know that even a 22 can kill right, well how about (28) 22 size holes with every trigger pull.

#00 is good but for me and several others, having only ~9 pellets Well... Maybe I'm not so sure I'm that great of a shot under the stress of the moment. :stretcher:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I use a Modified Dutch Load Technique.

The first two rounds to chamber are 00 Buck then the rest of the rounds are Slugs.
    IF, I do not drop the threat with 2 rounds of 00 then I need something with more smack. Which is what the Slugs can do, and do it well by the way...

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have S&B 00 buckshot loaded in the tube and the side saddle loaded with federal 00-flight control. I used to keep the tube loaded with #4 shot because of living in an apartment and not wanting too much penetration. But after seeing how it spreads at the furthest distance I could shoot from across my apartment I decided to just keep with 00-buck.
    The S&B patterns well with its 12 pellets but isn't so tight that I have to be super accurate with it if I had to shoot all the way across my apartment. Then if for some reason I had to fight at some kind of distance out to 25 yds or so I have the Federal flight control which patterns super tight.

Top Bottom